Why become a member? ×

Warwick $$ Fretless flat wound strings

purplepixi

Hi all, about to take delivery of a Warwick $$ fretless and for my fretted bass I use flat wound as I love the sound.  Any other Warwick fretless owners out there recommend flat wounds?  I currently use the ones below that work well for me.  Thanks in advance.

Rosie

Thomastik JF344 Jazz Flatwound Bass Strings 43-100 

Depends, as there are two types of flatwounds, the old school which are smooth and thumpy sounding, most lack a lot of definition. Then there are hybrid or modern flatwounds which have a more defined sound (brighter sounding). TI's are basically in the middle of the two types.

If we know what sound you want, we can advise? 😃

• 4 weeks later...

Experimenting with flatwounds can be expensive, sets can cost £50+. Old school flats are dull sounding, lack some definition, are thumpy. Modern or hybrid flats have better definition, are generally higher in tension.

If you've never used flats before, I'd advise some cheap Olympia flatwounds, they are medium tension, not as smooth or thumpy sounding as old school flats, and not as defined as hybrid flats, none-the-less Olympia flats do the job, and do it reasonably well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flatwound-guitar-strings-stainless-Olympia/dp/B005CD2F62

Video of these flats in action, although on a fretted bass...