Why become a member? ×

Why is my A string mwoah-ing?

Pea Turgh

Ola peeps.  My fretted P bitsa has been so much fun over the past couple of years.  However, I’m noticing a sort of “after-buzz” on any note played on the A string.  Not a peep on any other note on any other string.  It sounds a little bit like a fretless “mwoah” if the note is sustained at all.

The A is also a little clickier in comparison to the other three strings.

Any ideas on what could be causing that?  Just a duff string?

Edited by Pea Turgh

21 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Try loosening the string and turning the ball, sometimes the string doesn't sit right, either the ball, or the saddle or at the nut. A little turn may be all that's needed.

And if it’s not that, then check that you have enough downward (break)  angle over the nut. 

and if it’s not that, then the windings have come loose on the string, it’s time for a new one.

Edited by Dood
  • Thanks 1

If, as you say, it's on any note, then it is more likely to be at the saddle end (just press the string behind the saddle as you play...does it stop it?).   

Try the 'ball end twist' as @hooky_lowdown suggests, or tweak the intonation screw a touch to get the saddle pivot on a different part of the string (they sometimes wear a groove in the string over the saddle and start 'sitar'ing) or as hooky and @Dood say, it may be the string. 

• Thanks 1

Swapped the A with another bass (that’s why we need multiples, see?) and the problem has gone!  And the donor bass seems happy with the previously problematic string.  Win!

I think it may have been break angle related, as I have more windings and a better angle now.  The donor bass has teeny little posts, so isn’t a problem there.

Still a touch clicky, but that’s probably my fosters poor technique!

Thanks all 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Trouble is, I like them too much to sell any, but I still want the other one in the classifieds.  Darn GAS!

No, no, no.  You have this all wrong, @Pea Turgh .  You try to sell your basses when you buy a new one.  But, goodness, you don't actually sell them.  What would be the fun in that!!??

• Like 1