Why become a member? ×

Valve Removal Help

King Tut

I recently took delivery of a B Stock Peavey VB - 2 225W valve amp. These have 6 power valves, 2 12AX7 preamp valves and a 12AT7 driver tube/phase splitter.

I'd read reports that some units shipped mistakenly with a12AX7 valve in place of the 12AT7 valve.

I had the back off mine today, got the tube cover off and had a peek, and sure enough, mine has the wrong  valve in. The valve seems to be sunken into the chassis, so my question is, does it just pull out? It seems quite firmly inserted and I'm a bit nervous about damaging it! Also, can I buy any old 12AT7 tube or is a certain make/type recommended?

Thanks in advance.IMG_20201105_185823442.thumb.jpg.0bfeac597dd2883a51d7d7e96d19adaa.jpg

Pull it out gently. No worries, it's a totally normal positioning in the socket.

As the 12AT7 is the driver tube, buy something like a Genalex Gold Lion which will be balanced. This is certainly the most important tube in your "creating the push-pull alternance" for the power amp, so better put the money where it's needed.

This is this one http://www.banzaimusic.com/ECC81-12AT7-Genalex-Gold-Lion.html

Edited by Hellzero
Correct valve
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Pull it out gently. No worries, it's a totally normal positioning in the socket.

As the 12AT7 is the driver tube, buy something like a Genalex Gold Lion which will be balanced. This is certainly the most important tube in your "creating the push-pull alternance" for the power amp, so better put the money where it's needed.

This is this one http://www.banzaimusic.com/ECC81-12AT7-Genalex-Gold-Lion.html

Thank you buddy!

• Thanks 1