Why become a member? ×

HollowBody Bass. Pots need changing!

Guest BassKS

Guest BassKS

Hey there people,

Here's the deal. A distand cousin of mine from back home got hold of an old japanese hollowbody bass which I was thinking of getting. Being free of charge just made it more attractive. however there are no pots or the pots have sunk inside the body or something rather. Has anyone got any ideas how to change the pots or will it simply involve to open the body something which i dont want to do unless it is the industry standard to open up hollowbodies in order to change pups/pots.

Any magical input is highly valued.

anyone have any pots that they could sell to me? Im guessing the hollobody ones on a passive bass might be 500k, depending on pickups i guess.

Thanks

[quote name='BassKS' post='439059' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:41 AM']Hey there people,

Here's the deal. A distand cousin of mine from back home got hold of an old japanese hollowbody bass which I was thinking of getting. Being free of charge just made it more attractive. however there are no pots or the pots have sunk inside the body or something rather. Has anyone got any ideas how to change the pots or will it simply involve to open the body something which i dont want to do unless it is the industry standard to open up hollowbodies in order to change pups/pots.

Any magical input is highly valued.

anyone have any pots that they could sell to me? Im guessing the hollobody ones on a passive bass might be 500k, depending on pickups i guess.

Thanks[/quote]

you have to pull the wiring out of an f-hole, or a pickup hole - then reverse the process to put it back together

the easy way is to tie fine cord, or wire, to the pots and drag them through, ship in a bottle style

Guest BassKS

[quote name='Paul_C' post='439075' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:58 AM']you have to pull the wiring out of an f-hole, or a pickup hole - then reverse the process to put it back together

the easy way is to tie fine cord, or wire, to the pots and drag them through, ship in a bottle style[/quote]

ahaaaaa, Thanks for that Paul_C. There was someone online mentioning stuff like fishing line. I thought it sounded a bit fishy (drum roll) so I contacted BC forum.

Tried rewiring an old Antoria 335 copy a while ago myself, using string, tie-wraps a la ship-in-the-bottle method. In the end got a guitar repairer mate to do it.
It can be a bastard of a job.....:) something that can only be done when patience mode is at it's highest!

I have just added a has sound varitone to my hollow ibanez, it involved pulling all the wiring i managed some very thin walled tube which could slip over the pot shaft, thread it through and then just pull the pot back when attached. The jack was handled much the same way with a piece of electrical flex stuffed into the jack. It was a lot easier than i imagined. When you come to put the jack on have an instrument cable ready with the jack nut threaded on to it, when you have the jack body through insert the male jack ( you have to trap the jack against the body by twisting it slightly in the hole) then you have something to hold on to while you get the nut spun on.

Good luck, patience is your friend here.

P.S. Fishing tackle shops sell very thinwalled silicon tubing which is what i used.

Edited by steve-norris