Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

Looks like the RM800 B stock has all gone at Ashdown 

Mine was virtually as new in fact probably better than some that arrive from stores that never seem “ that new” !!! Great amps and very pleased to have one again in my collection 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I still really like mine, but I can't shake the desire to sell it and put the money towards the Evo V 750.

I know it's stupid - I'm not even in a band at the moment! :D 

I don’t think you would hear much of a difference, minimal “ H” difference but not worth the extra pounds in my opinion ( had the ABM600, purchased a 750 and sent it back ) 

Just posted in another thread as well, but wanted to report back on the Rootmaster rig after its first gig.

Loads of power on tap, only went to the third notch I think. The 2x10 and 1x15 are a great combo, loads of top end for the slappy stuff and then loads of thud for the soul and rock stuff.

One cab in each hand for load in is just heaven as well, and the footprint is small which is perfect when your in a 7 piece playing pubs and clubs. 

Got some compliments on the sound which was nice as well.

8EE3D355-08D9-478B-A9C4-F3728AEB9A4B.thumb.jpeg.d4d280ce437126883fba2b9d75ee14f8.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NJE said:

Just posted in another thread as well, but wanted to report back on the Rootmaster rig after its first gig.

Loads of power on tap, only went to the third notch I think. The 2x10 and 1x15 are a great combo, loads of top end for the slappy stuff and then loads of thud for the soul and rock stuff.

One cab in each hand for load in is just heaven as well, and the footprint is small which is perfect when your in a 7 piece playing pubs and clubs. 

Got some compliments on the sound which was nice as well.

8EE3D355-08D9-478B-A9C4-F3728AEB9A4B.thumb.jpeg.d4d280ce437126883fba2b9d75ee14f8.jpeg

Have you tried either cab on its own? They pop up reasonably cheaply, would it be of them do for your gig?

I used the 2x10 for a wedding gig a couple of weeks ago because my first 1x15 had issues. 

It was a big marquee and I play in a 7 piece with brass and it was fine for onstage monitoring across the stage but didn’t have enough low end to fill the space and I needed the PA support. It would probably be fine in the small pubs we play though.

The 1x15 has a lot more oomph on its own but I haven’t gigged just that one yet. If you have PA I think you would be fine with just one for most small and medium gigs.

Used my RM 500 1/12 combo at a couple of recent gigs. The first one (a small outdoor festival) I paired it with the matching 1/12 cab. The second one a bar in Bristol I used the combo on its own. 

The sound was wonderful on both occasions. What I noticed however - and I've remarked this before - with both cabs it's monstrously loud, an absolute beast. With just the combo it's significantly quieter than I'd expect. I mean I really had to crank the volume to get a decent level.

I understand the impedance implications and how these affect the efficiency of an amp, and I have many years of practical experience in the differences playing with two cabs and then one. My point is this is remarkably different from what I'd expect.

Anyway, that aside, I'm more than happy to recommend the RM series, and paired with the 12" Ashdown cabs they are particularly good. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got the opportunity to buy an RM 500 EVO II but the seller is saying it takes 2 mins to warm up before any sound can be heard, after that all fine. Anyone else had simmilar experiences? Does this amp have a tube that could be swapped out? I'm a newbie to the brand having had Trace Elliots for the last 20 years but wanting a tonal change now. Cheers.

I’m having this happen with mine, maybe not 2mins but at least 30 seconds or so. After that it’s absolutely fine, no problems at all but was a bit unnerving when it first happened.

My new RM800 has a a few seconds before becoming active 

There are no tubes in the RM so I guess it’s by design or waiting for the fan to start perhaps hence why older units are taking longer ? 

Spoke to services at Ashdown, nice guy he's looked the serial up and it has warranty until next Feb anyway so may have a punt! Seems to think that's not normal and is fixable at least so I could post it onto them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fraserwill said:

Spoke to services at Ashdown, nice guy he's looked the serial up and it has warranty until next Feb anyway so may have a punt! Seems to think that's not normal and is fixable at least so I could post it onto them.

I've had fantastic dealings with Ashdown's customer service. If you can wait while it's in transit then I think it's worth a punt.

Is it cheap?

I'm dealing with Dave at Ashdown at the moment regarding an odd undocumented feature with the new Evo III amps. When I contacted Ashdown to query he was keen to phone me directly to discuss.

Once we've got to the bottom of it I will be happy to reveal.

Edited by Machines

I would like to ask about the light in the VU meter.

I have a new RM800 EVO II, bought in their "last chance" sale.

Some people on here seem to be saying that as well as a green flashing LED in the meter when levels are good, there's also a red flashing led when you push it too hard. Mine does not flash red at all. I just have to keep an eye on the needle to trim the input accordingly.

So, should there be a red flashing LED in the meter?

Rob