Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

1 minute ago, ossyrocks said:

I would like to ask about the light in the VU meter.

I have a new RM800 EVO II, bought in their "last chance" sale.

Some people on here seem to be saying that as well as a green flashing LED in the meter when levels are good, there's also a red flashing led when you push it too hard. Mine does not flash red at all. I just have to keep an eye on the needle to trim the input accordingly.

So, should there be a red flashing LED in the meter?

Rob

Mine is new ( also from the last sell off batch ) and it doesn’t flash red 

Nor did one I had about 3yrs ago 

I wouldn’t worry as it’s not even stated in the manual it has one !! 

• Like 1

Ok reporting back. So I put in a cheeky offer of £165 and it's just been accepted. When I spoke to Dave Green at ashdown he was able to look up the warranty because you could see the serial number in the eBay listing and he told me it's still in under warranty until February. So I can post it straight to him and he'll have a look for me. 

I'll try it out when I get it and see if I can be bothered but it's good to know that I can get it fixed if there's an issue. 

Thanks for all the feedback in this channel, looks like I'm joining the club!

Yep the service and support by Ashdown is first class 

They often support their products outside of warranty too especially if you visit in person and take a pack of biscuits for Dave !! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the RM 500 in the post but it didn't work at all, not just needing a warmup. Just a very quiet fuzzy sound even using headphones. Seller swore it was working when he tried it. So I went back to him but he sort of panicked, refunded the full amount and told me to throw it away! 

So I sent to ashdown and got it back today. So now it's working via headphones!

So two issues remain.

1) I'm outputting to my trace Elliot 2x10 combo which I can unplug the speaker from but that only has a guitar jack. No sound output so I presume I need speakon compatible cab as the manual says those cables must be used?

2) not a major thing but the sub seems intermittent. If I play a single note I can hear it cut in and out in the background like every second. Is that normal? 

Looking forward to trying through a speaker soon!

11 minutes ago, Fraserwill said:

So I sent to ashdown and got it back today. So now it's working via headphones!

So two issues remain.

1) I'm outputting to my trace Elliot 2x10 combo which I can unplug the speaker from but that only has a guitar jack. No sound output so I presume I need speakon compatible cab as the manual says those cables must be used?

2) not a major thing but the sub seems intermittent. If I play a single note I can hear it cut in and out in the background like every second. Is that normal? 

Looking forward to trying through a speaker soon

Hi Fraser, I never found the headphone switch very good on mine, it never sounded clear and used to stick occasionally, I had Dave green remove mine, I think really you need to put it through a cab to check it out properly, good luck 

Thanks mate. I just realised I was using a short extension to get the speaker cable to the amp as the one there is not long enough. That's for a guitar so is different shielding or whatever b to speaker cable. So balancing the amp on a chair and plugging it in direct worked! So now I have a working free RM 500!

I can take out the TE head (it's removable) and put the RM on the shelf. May get a different can soon any recommendations?

• Like 1

So all that remains is the wonky sub effect. Anyone else had this? Seems to work like a square wave, getting quiter and louder at about a 1s interval. Oddly it seems to be any note below the 10th fret on the A string! So seems like a frequency thing. I probably won't use this much but its fun to put it on and play sledge hammer!

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

Sub should only work if the Sub control is not fully anticlockwise 

I would check that first 

Yes I have tried different settings. The sub works but not consistently. Fully clockwise you can hear it fine but on lower frequencies the sub sound only gets quiter and louder at a set rate (just under 1s at a guess). Higher up on the neck it seems fine. I'll try other combos of EQ, compression, shape, input gain etc. to see if it gets better/worse. It is easy to hear though.

On 28/06/2024 at 20:01, stewblack said:

Used my RM 500 1/12 combo at a couple of recent gigs. The first one (a small outdoor festival) I paired it with the matching 1/12 cab. The second one a bar in Bristol I used the combo on its own. 

The sound was wonderful on both occasions. What I noticed however - and I've remarked this before - with both cabs it's monstrously loud, an absolute beast. With just the combo it's significantly quieter than I'd expect. I mean I really had to crank the volume to get a decent level.

I understand the impedance implications and how these affect the efficiency of an amp, and I have many years of practical experience in the differences playing with two cabs and then one. My point is this is remarkably different from what I'd expect.

Anyway, that aside, I'm more than happy to recommend the RM series, and paired with the 12" Ashdown cabs they are particularly good. 

Same effect with my RM500 1/15 combo.  Blues band 1, 6 piece with horns, 2 1x15 cabs, 150+ audiences, no problem,plenty of go.  Blues band 2, 3 piece, rehearsal today, as per @stewblack had to crank the volume quite a way.  The power increase at 4 Ohms (two cabs) is quite noticeable.  It is a really good piece of kit to get instant 'good' sounds with different basses.  In terms of bang per ££ (used or B stock) they are just phenomenal.

• Like 1