Why become a member? ×

Precision necks with everything...

Stewart

All my Fender P necks and associated parts:

WD music body with most recently purchased Japanese neck (bought from member dmz - and a pleasure to deal with).
The bridge is from a 1979 Ibanez, pickups DiMarzio
[attachment=22426:P3080006.JPG]
[attachment=22427:P3080008.JPG]

Warmoth alder Jazz body with Japanese neck, Dimarzio pickups, Hipshot bridge
[attachment=22428:P3080009.JPG]
[attachment=22429:P3080010.JPG]

Japanese '59 (?) reissue, alder, US pickups, replacement pickguard and pickup covers, Hipshot bridge and (reverse) tuners - Tru-Bass strings.
[attachment=22430:P3080018.JPG]
[attachment=22431:P3080019.JPG]

Mexican body, 1979 USA neck, Kent Armstrong Hot Vintage pickups, Hipshot vintage bridge and tuners
[attachment=22432:P3080021.JPG]
[attachment=22433:P3080022.JPG]

[quote name='Stewart' post='440666' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:47 PM']Warmoth alder Jazz body with Japanese neck, Dimarzio pickups, Hipshot bridge
[attachment=22428:P3080009.JPG]
[attachment=22429:P3080010.JPG][/quote]

that would look excellent with a black pickguard methinks.

Hi :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='440801' date='Mar 21 2009, 01:22 AM']Very nice collection.. How do they sound?[/quote]

All strung with Tomastik flats except the '59 (which makes more difference than any other feature)

The fretless sounds amazing (though my playing doesn't) - The DiMarzio is very bright and suits it well.
Sounds much better than it has a right to, I reckon!

The Jazz is typically jazz-sounding, detailed, plenty of growl - completely hum-free - sounds great recorded (especially with a bit of compression) but the E and G are a bit hotter than A and D, and it seems to 'disappear' a bit on stage...

The '59 is closest to a standard precision but those Tru-Bass strings make it the real odd-one out tonally
It suits Trad blues very well - quite a bit more top-end than you might expect.
This one hasn't yet been to Bernie at GB to have it's frets fettled, so it's my least favorite to pick up and play currently - though it gets gigged the most.

The US '79-necked is my favorite fretted - the neck just feels great and has amazingly low buzz-free action.
The tone is much darker than the others - lots of bottom/lower mids.

I'm not sure the bridges contribute anything much tonally, but I hate the standard item and like quick-loading.
Hipshot stuff is all nice anyway.

The Jazz is typically jazz-sounding, detailed, plenty of growl - completely hum-free - sounds great recorded (especially with a bit of compression) but the E and G are a bit hotter than A and D, and it seems to 'disappear' a bit on stage..

I had the same problem with my Jazz, so I put some EMG J pups in. They have radiused blades as oppossed to flat pole pieces and as such, pick up the A and D much better, giving you a much more even output, instead of the classic Fender "fade" of the middle strings.
:)

Great stuff Stewart,

Glad your happy with the fretless neck - looks to be a fine combination.

Just keep on at it. Play along with lots of records - not necessarily with fretless players.

Do lots of gigs if you can too - the neck will become familiar in no time at all.

All the best

Bill