Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Do you understand why I initially wrote "Do you work for Bass Direct?" and why 5 folk responded with Haha?  It's because you came across like a shill.  You've barely posted here, and here you are, lauding a particular vendor and slagging off competitors in the same breath.  The paucity of details is the problem - you presented the "fact" that you get a "shite" deal from PMT or GuitarGuitar as a bald fact that happens universally.  Your post was poorly written and ambiguous, it is only now with the addition of a modicum of detail that it becomes clear to me that you are specifically referring to PXing gear.  That, I have zero experience with (I always sell privately) and will happily bow to your superior knowledge on the subject.

Thank you for educating me about what "free speech" is, I had no idea! ;)

I'm really sorry I have upset you please forgive me.  Guitar Guitar is the best xxx

Edited by Royaly T

5 minutes ago, Royaly T said:

I'm really sorry I have upset you please forgive me.  Guitar Guitar is the best xxx

You haven't upset me in the slightest.  Don't try harder either, I'd much rather everyone got along.  And GuitarGuitar are far from the best, they're off my Christmas card list for stopping stocking G&L for a kickoff.  They're only the "best" place I can go that's within a 5-6 hour round trip.  Everyone's got their perspectives on things.

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You haven't upset me in the slightest.  Don't try harder either, I'd much rather everyone got along.  And GuitarGuitar are far from the best, they're off my Christmas card list for stopping stocking G&L for a kickoff.  They're only the "best" place I can go that's within a 5-6 hour round trip.  Everyone's got their perspectives on things.

And if you read my previous post I said staff at Guitar Guitar and PMT, although I haven't dealt with them for a while, has always been good and pleasant to deal with. P ex offers have been crap. 

I prefer to do my business with BD, I like the choice of gear they have and they are very fair on p ex deals or they will sell for you on a 20% commission again I have had several good experiences with them selling on my behalf.  Everyone is free to choose who they want to deal with.  

My thoughts are based on my experience with them.  

I now live 200 miles from them, so a 400 mile commute to work ain't going to happen.

😘

• 2 months later...

I ordered a Comfort Strapp from Bass Direct around 2:30 yesterday afternoon - it was delivered to my door at 12:30 today, aend xcellent email communications throughout.

Can't fault that for service.

Thanks to all at Bass Direct.

• Like 2

I came here to praise a recent transaction with Bass Direct. I had to get something returned and it all went really well. Even got communication late on a Friday evening from Mark about it. Ive not had any issue with BD over the years.

Guitar Guitar on the other hand, I'll never use them again. After finding an amp had a faulty XLR out (many months after I brought it), a manager from one of their shops (which i wont name) basically told me I should have checked it back when I got it, and go speak to the manufacture as its not their problem due to the timeframe. He may have been legally correct, but his attitude stunk. There was no politeness or understanding at all. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Politeness costs absolutely nothing. A lack of it however will cost GG at least one potential customer. 

Yep. Many times since I’ve seen something on their website site but have gone elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Guitar Guitar on the other hand, I'll never use them again. After finding an amp had a faulty XLR out (many months after I brought it), a manager from one of their shops (which i wont name) basically told me I should have checked it back when I got it, and go speak to the manufacture as its not their problem due to the timeframe. He may have been legally correct, but his attitude stunk. There was no politeness or understanding at all. 

That is not good. As GG are a chain, the whole organisation has been tainted by a worker in just one of their outlets (even worse as I understand that they’re employee owned), this individual’s attitude affects everyone who works for GG - it’s a poor show and terribly selfish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

That is not good. As GG are a chain, the whole organisation has been tainted by a worker in just one of their outlets (even worse as I understand that they’re employee owned), this individual’s attitude affects everyone who works for GG - it’s a poor show and terribly selfish.

Yeah. I dont hold it against the whole chain, but wont risk having to deal with that person again, and does call in to question what their policies are. Ill also add that the company that produced the offending amp is also on my black list, as they wanted a lot of money to fix something that i felt was broken from day one, but because i never used it at all i have no way to prove this. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah. I dont hold it against the whole chain, but wont risk having to deal with that person again, and does call in to question what their policies are. Ill also add that the company that produced the offending amp is also on my black list, as they wanted a lot of money to fix something that i felt was broken from day one, but because i never used it at all i have no way to prove this. 

I don't doubt your honesty, but a friend who imports machinery has many examples of 'unused' features that must have been broken or wrong when the item was sold years before...

12 months is a fair time for people to be certain a product works.

That said, it should be possible to explain this to an upset or frustrated customer and remain polite.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't doubt your honesty, but a friend who imports machinery has many examples of 'unused' features that must have been broken or wrong when the item was sold years before...

12 months is a fair time for people to be certain a product works.

That said, it should be possible to explain this to an upset or frustrated customer and remain polite.

Yeah, I get that, but this is the XLR just plainly not working, and id never tried to use it before. I opened it up to see if it was a loose wire and there was nothing out of the ordinary (not that im qualified). I can understand something external but how on earth do you stop an XLR from working.

But yeah, it was the fact that he said I should have tried it when I got it, and that id have to prove it was faulty from the start. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 16/04/2024 at 13:50, Woodinblack said:

I get the marketing emails on the sunday from them. Don't seem to be as quick with the updates to the effects pedal I sent back to them a few months ago to fix.

ok, so now it is almost 6 months since I sent it to them to be fixed, and when I have contacted them (or when I posted here) they have said they are waiting for a jack plug. So I wrote tonight to ask them to just send it back, I will fix it myself, clearly they aren't going to do it.

Literally have never had such little service from any company. Even bax were better than that (twice). Going to go and unsubscribe from the lists so I don't fall for it again!

• Sad 1

My last contact with BD was a phone call asking about lightweight 4ohm cab options they available, the response was "Everything we have is on the website" - not interested in helping me or any discussion.  

So I called Bass Bros, Will was very helpful so I visited in person and came away with a awesome cab and a new bass!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

My last contact with BD was a phone call asking about lightweight 4ohm cab options they available, the response was "Everything we have is on the website" - not interested in helping me or any discussion.  

So I called Bass Bros, Will was very helpful so I visited in person and came away with a awesome cab and a new bass!

This seems to be the result of poor customer service training, unless it was Mark you spoke with? If I worked at BD and were too busy at that point to discuss your options, I would've asked for your email address so I could send you links to some relevant cabs in stock when I was able.  That shouldn't be too hard and would keep you interested. 

In my experience, many music shop employees are budding musicians first, with little to no CS training.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

Not trying to get into a fight, but to be honest these days it's a reasonable response.

First, it's probably going to take him longer to look it all up while on the phone that it would have taken you, and he might have more calls waiting a shop full of customers also wanting attention. OK he might have been. alittle more polite if he only said what's written....

Second, given it's all on the website, what more can he tell you over the phone about the pros/cons of what they have in stock that you can't get one one or more internet forums (if I were going to buy any gear new the last place I'd trust for advice would be the shop and the first place I'd trust would be Basschat)

Good to hear that Will at BB was very helpful, but I've hear bad stuff about him also. Bottom line is that you can get lucky and catch someone at a good moment, or get unlucky and catch them at a bad one. Doesn;t make Bass Direct or Bass Bros or the people who work in them good or bad, just human 👍

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Well, I've just placed my first order with BD, late last night so effectively first thing this morning.  Just a few wee sundry items (John East knobs).  Fingers crossed they arrive for the weekend, cheeky wee knob swap will be a nice easy tinkering job for a Sunday afternoon.

11 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Not trying to get into a fight, but to be honest these days it's a reasonable response.

First, it's probably going to take him longer to look it all up while on the phone that it would have taken you, and he might have more calls waiting a shop full of customers also wanting attention. OK he might have been. alittle more polite if he only said what's written....

Second, given it's all on the website, what more can he tell you over the phone about the pros/cons of what they have in stock that you can't get one one or more internet forums (if I were going to buy any gear new the last place I'd trust for advice would be the shop and the first place I'd trust would be Basschat)

Good to hear that Will at BB was very helpful, but I've hear bad stuff about him also. Bottom line is that you can get lucky and catch someone at a good moment, or get unlucky and catch them at a bad one. Doesn;t make Bass Direct or Bass Bros or the people who work in them good or bad, just human 👍

Oh yeah I appreciate what you're saying, arguably if you're in a good moment or bad moment if you're running a business then it doesn't matter, your aim is to sell products to customers, the better the service is that they receive the more likely they are to come back, I've had two very positive experience with BD in the past in person, in this case I felt like whoever I spoke to didn't have the time or interest to speak to me, so I tried a new shop to me, BB. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Agreed, but the BD website does invite calls:-

Screenshot_20240912_143029_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0594f48eb74ae6bec4a2427561c161c1.jpg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

This seems to be the result of poor customer service training, unless it was Mark you spoke with? If I worked at BD and were too busy at that point to discuss your options, I would've asked for your email address so I could send you links to some relevant cabs in stock when I was able.  That shouldn't be too hard and would keep you interested. 

In my experience, many music shop employees are budding musicians first, with little to no CS training.

It wasn't Mark I spoke to as I've always found him helpful, likely it was Marcus. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Screenshot_20240912_143029_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0594f48eb74ae6bec4a2427561c161c1.jpg

Yup, and their website does not offer filtering by impedance so a phone call made sense IMO.

If one of my team told a customer to look at the website when they phoned for advice I’d be raging. Best answer from BD would have been “Leave that with me, can I call/email you back?”

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

"Hey man, I loved your bass tone tonight. It was really... efficient."

Said no-one, ever.

Edited by mowf
  • Haha 3

I will say one thing that made me chuckle - as soon as the order confirmation email came through, a second one immediately followed asking for a review.  Umm, save it for the dispatch confirmation email at least?  I'm not going to review you when I haven't even had any service from you yet, save for your very efficient removal of funds from my bank account ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1