Why become a member? ×

"Sadowsky" Metro Express Basses

Crawford13

On 28/07/2024 at 12:37, Paddy777 said:

Wow - I know what I’m gonna be getting soon! I’ll still want to put the VTC on however - is it easy to fit it using the upgrade kit?

That really does sound very nice indeed! New GAS acquired! The paper white metallic has caught my eye.

https://shop.warwick.de/en/instruments/electric-basses/sadowsky-metroexpress/21-fret-vintage-mj-bass

SMX21MJ5_J7M_OKU_FR_017OrK9CJneXIeT.thumb.webp.cfbc6a9d9f9ac2271b627db790537243.webp

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Peter Popovic said:

Is there any shop in the UK who has lefty new models of Metro Express? Andertons, Guitarguitar, Gears4music only has first generation…thanks

According to an email exchange I had with Hans Wilfer they should start appearing over the next couple of weeks. 

4 hours ago, JohnR said:

According to an email exchange I had with Hans Wilfer they should start appearing over the next couple of weeks. 

Thanks JohnR. Looking forward to it. I would like to have one of them. I have Metro Express 1st generation and it had a lot of flaws. But after some work on it( quite a lot of work I would say 🙃) it became my favourite bass( I do own 19 basses including more expensive ones) so may I say Sadowsky has my interest. Especially Metro Express series new generation with corrections and upgrades. Thanks again for your input. Appreciate that👍

Edited by Peter Popovic
  • Like 1

I have a custom German Sadowsky due next year. I’ve waited almost three years for it. I’m tempted to buy a new Metroexpress J/M to tide me over until it arrives. 

Edited by JohnR
Typo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would like that M/J a whole lot better without that godawful pickguard. Took me years before I could appreciate it on an actual MM, but on a J-style body it just looks unforgivably out of place. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2024 at 18:29, martthebass said:

Think there’s one in mine…..I didn’t fit it. Sounds great.F7AA5706-7691-4B11-B587-9ED8479F7D31.thumb.jpeg.f40e702e973fb8eba5fb19a11c2462bd.jpeg

I fitted the J-Retro to this bass when I owned it.  Straight swap, no issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ead said:

I fitted the J-Retro to this bass when I owned it.  Straight swap, no issues whatsoever.

Still sounds great.  Thought I'd flip this fairly quickly but it does everything my old Stingray fretless did and more for a lot less £££

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ead said:

I think mine is an older one, they might have changed the design. Big bummer because I was really looking forward to this preamp in this bass.

I have found quite a bit of variation between units... I have a fretted 5 and a fretless five and the scratchplate from one didn't fit the other!

I recently changed my metro express pre to the sadowsky dropin version with VTC and that fitted but I had to drill new holes and i didn't meet the scatchplate either. I can live with that for the sound benefits though!

Strange considering these would be mass produced and generally, consistency of parts fitting is pretty good... 

I wondered if mine were from different batches...???

Edited by carlsim

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

I think mine is an older one, they might have changed the design. Big bummer because I was really looking forward to this preamp in this bass.

This one is the first gen but one of the later builds without some of the iffy build issues. Have you considered getting a custom pick guard to close the gap?

6 hours ago, BassAgent said:

The PCB is too big for the cavity. I can't move the control plate forward enough.

IMG_7731.thumb.JPG.fe5a25d792336d6ebd9c49ac3c0804aa.JPG

So now I'm reinstalling the original preamp but I can't remember how the ground wires were connected😅

I might be wrong, however I’m pretty sure that the one you have got there is the DJ-Retro preamp made specifically for Lakland Darryl Jones signature basses that have a longer, slightly slimmer body than normal Jazz basses - where’d you  buy it? (Photo below from website 👇 The DJ-Retro is the only one that has two diff colour knobs on the concentric pots). I’ll swap it for a J-Tone preamp that will fit the Sadowsky if you’re stuck 😁 

IMG_4967.thumb.jpeg.057750bdca333e4144971cef481d73f5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddy777 said:

I might be wrong, however I’m pretty sure that the one you have got there is the DJ-Retro preamp made specifically for Lakland Darryl Jones signature basses that have a longer, slightly slimmer body than normal Jazz basses - where’d you  buy it? (Photo below from website 👇 The DJ-Retro is the only one that has two diff colour knobs on the concentric pots). I’ll swap it for a J-Tone preamp that will fit the Sadowsky if you’re stuck 😁 

Yup, the one fitted in mine is the J Retro 01 deluxe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paddy777 said:

That's what I thought, but the DJ control plate is slightly curved. Mine is straight. It was fitted to my USA Joe Osborn when I bought it.