Why become a member? ×

"Sadowsky" Metro Express Basses

Crawford13

9 hours ago, BassAgent said:

That's what I thought, but the DJ control plate is slightly curved. Mine is straight. It was fitted to my USA Joe Osborn when I bought it.

It’s certainly the DJ control knobs - what I would do is buy a standard jazz control plate (they’re only a Couple of quid) and transfer all the pots etc onto it, should be easy enough I think 

• Like 1

You'd think, right? It's so weird that the knobs indicate the DJ-retro, but the control plate itself is straight. Transferring to a new control plate isn't as easy as you'd expect: you'd need to drill 2 extra holes for the switches (and drilling into chromed metal isn't my speciality).

TBH one of the main things that makes Sadowsky’s what they are is the very recognisable Marcus Miller-esque sound you can get from the preamp, on paper the Aguilar OBP-2 is voiced the same but it doesn’t quite have the same mojo a Safowsky pre does. John East pre’s are a different kettle of fish altogether tho!

On 11/09/2024 at 14:25, BassAgent said:

The PCB is too big for the cavity. I can't move the control plate forward enough.

IMG_7731.thumb.JPG.fe5a25d792336d6ebd9c49ac3c0804aa.JPG

So now I'm reinstalling the original preamp but I can't remember how the ground wires were connected😅

Solder to the back of the pickup blend pot I think, but they were an absolute see you next Tuesday to get to stick from what I can remember.

52 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

I’m not quite sure what the difference is bar an extra fret, however it does mean that they’re now selling the Will Lee preamp as a standalone item, where u can boost the mids at 500hz or 800hz (a frequency I generally only like to cut). The Red one looks absolutely lovely, but I’m being disciplined - for £900-1000 on a good day on here you can pick up a Dragonfly or an SEi etc - something that cost £2k+ new, so there’s no way I’m splashing almost a grand on one. However I really like them, I fancy the M 5-string  (MM pickup only) or the MM/J 5 string, and I could happily have a PJ5 and JJ5, but I’ll be waiting till they come up second hand - if I have £900-1000 to spend on a bass I’ll not be buying new

WILL LEE PREAMP (£219):

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/sadowsky-parts-active-will-lee-electronic-w-rfip-vol-bal-tone-p-p-tb-assembled-on-control-plate-w-mini-switch/

Edited by Paddy777
  • Like 1