Why become a member? ×

Washburn Status

Lord Percy

I found one in Hamilton Ontario (Facebook Marketplace in an acoustic instrument group) for $459 Can. I’ve been looking for one for years. Even found it in Black. It’s seen some damage though, looks as though the tone knob was bashed into the body with a bit of a failed cosmetic repair. The volume knob runs the opposite way, and the neck pickup is dead. It’s also 9 pounds 6 ounces! Everything else is fine. I have some replacement EMG’s arriving next week.

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1502.jpeg

IMG_1505.jpeg

• Like 2

Neck pickup is possibly fine, but the wiring is a mess. Could be a short circuit at the volume knob, given the messy solder blobs there, and I think I see a damaged wire coming from one of the pickups at the top, near the wiring channel to the pickup routs? If it's just that you're looking at an easy fix to get it back to working condition while keeping everything stock. These are very much all the original Status electronics that it's had since new :)

True, after looking at another repair  of one of these where the owner was looking for the stacked volume pot which had died, it occurred to me the pickup might be fine. It’s really hard to poke around in this without causing more damage. If I can’t sort it out I’ll install the EMG’s but keep all of this intact for a later date. If I recall the Status pickups have a fairly unique aggressive tone. 

I noticed the tone knob has a centre notch, when I thought that would be the blend knob(?) And the volume does spin the wrong way.

I don’t think the white pickup wire going into the channel is broken, just the insulation scared up by a soldering iron (I’ll try replacing it today).  Here are a couple more messy forensic photos…

IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_1507.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patrick Francis said:

True, after looking at another repair  of one of these where the owner was looking for the stacked volume pot which had died, it occurred to me the pickup might be fine. It’s really hard to poke around in this without causing more damage. If I can’t sort it out I’ll install the EMG’s but keep all of this intact for a later date. If I recall the Status pickups have a fairly unique aggressive tone. 

I noticed the tone knob has a centre notch, when I thought that would be the blend knob(?) And the volume does spin the wrong way.

I don’t think the white pickup wire going into the channel is broken, just the insulation scared up by a soldering iron (I’ll try replacing it today).  Here are a couple more messy forensic photos…

It's not the white wire that caught my eye but this black one:

Naamloos.png.9b9ef6971682d4d9d65e7c62f0ea5003.png

There appears to be some damage to that top black wire, as you say possibly from a soldering iron. Probably just a brush with the outer insulation as you say. 

A very cool find by all means, and I don't recall seeing one in all-black before! 

I can now confirm the neck pickup does work. I replaced the shanky black and white leads. When I reassembled everything still a no go. Everything is so old and brittle that even gentle investigation seems to be causing more issues. I don’t have the skill to clean up this preamp. From what I understand the stacked volume knob comes from the UK. I’ll wait for the EMG’s.

• Like 1

I would opt for Noll Mixpot, and that original board, although the preamp is a treble boost.

Pickups are side stacked humbuckers. They do not mix well with other pickups for obvious reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you're still looking, Lord Percy, I have one in green. I had the pickups swapped for EMGs but otherwise it is all stock. The bridge needs a bit of TLC because it's pinchy. but great condition all around.

ContinuousSignalStarTheater-98.jpg

Edited by jimcirile
ADD PIC