Why become a member? ×

Neck Bent?

Chienmortbb

I was playing my beloved Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass the other day and thought my technique had gone to pot. Now I don't have the greatest technique so I put it down to the fact that I was not well enough to play bass for several days. The next day, the strings were flat on the frets and the neck was like a banana. I have to say that I was worried. I could not  find the correct 5mm allen key so decided to order a  supe duper one from my local tool and fixings supplier,. I love WERA screwdrivers (don't tell the wife) so I ordered one of their HEX PLUS extra long allen keys, it arrived the next day and |I adjusted the neck for a decent relief and... all's well. The neck has stayed in possition for about a week.

Now this neck has been  very stable needing only a small tweek (eight turn) occasionally for 18 years. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can anyone explain it?

If the strings were flat to the board then I'm surmising the neck was bent back and there was less than no relief?  If so, to fix it I presume you had to loosen the truss rod.  How much did you have to loosen it (in terms of number of turns)?

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

If the strings were flat to the board then I'm surmising the neck was bent back and there was less than no relief?  If so, to fix it I presume you had to loosen the truss rod.  How much did you have to loosen it (in terms of number of turns)?

Yes you are right. I had to turn is  between 3/4 and 1 turn which is a lot. I have have only touched it ocasionally when the seaosn change and when fitting new strings.

That is a lot of change, but it's not clear over how long.  When did you last play it and it was fine?

The climate has changed quite suddenly though - an unusually crap May.  Did you recently switch off your central heating?  In the last few weeks, our dehumidifier has suddenly decided it has work to do after months of just sampling the air then going "nope, nothing to do here".  Dunno how much that means.

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

That is a lot of change, but it's not clear over how long.  When did you last play it and it was fine?

The climate has changed quite suddenly though - an unusually crap May.  Did you recently switch off your central heating?  In the last few weeks, our dehumidifier has suddenly decided it has work to do after months of just sampling the air then going "nope, nothing to do here".  Dunno how much that means.

I was playing it for a few days and finding it fharder and harder to play without really fingering and plucking immaculately. I had played it the days before and thought it needed adjusting, but maybe I was  adapting to it each day. It was a shock to see it though.

As long as you've achieved stability, that's the main thing.  3/4 to a whole turn is a lot but hopefully that's it.  At least you were having to loosen it - I'd have been more concerned having to tighten 3/4-1 turn in one go...