Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

So you ask a question, don't like the answer and give 0/10 for customer support.

Nice.

Technical issue, not covered in documentation (in fact docs suggest their numbering starts at 1) or pre-sales, suggested a fix, bluntly told it's not their problem, 0/10.

Not nice.

But anyway - I only mentioned it because there had been an assertion that there had been no complaints.

Your responses seem a bit aggressive: "it was your misunderstanding and inability to understand what actually was going" and a sarcastic "Nice".

43 minutes ago, prowla said:

Your responses seem a bit aggressive: "it was your misunderstanding and inability to understand what actually was going" and a sarcastic "Nice".

I think you are a troll. Dredging up negativity to get a reaction, and spread misinformation that suits your personal narrative. 

42 minutes ago, prowla said:

Technical issue, not covered in documentation (in fact docs suggest their numbering starts at 1) or pre-sales, suggested a fix, bluntly told it's not their problem, 0/10.

Not nice.

But anyway - I only mentioned it because there had been an assertion that there had been no complaints.

As it has always been, it is in the manual (though I will see if I can make it less open to misinterpretation). As it states, (Actual) PC 1 recalls preset slot 1. The potential confusion arises in that PC0 is not assigned to anything, but no off-by-1 error, which MIDI monitoring software will verify.

I’m not going to belabour this any further as I’ve got recovery to do.

IMG_0184.png

24 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

As it has always been, it is in the manual (though I will see if I can make it less open to misinterpretation). As it states, (Actual) PC 1 recalls preset slot 1. The potential confusion arises in that PC0 is not assigned to anything, but no off-by-1 error, which MIDI monitoring software will verify.

I’m not going to belabour this any further as I’ve got recovery to do.

IMG_0184.png

Yep - that's it; the Program Change says it does 1-99, which lends itself to the interpretation that it uses the 1-128 numbering convention.

It would be good at a minimum to mention that it's using 0-127 but 0 is unused.

Now, the "off-by-one" is a known issue in MIDI; according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI:

• In MIDI, the instrument sound or "program" for each of the 16 possible MIDI channels is selected with the Program Change message, which has a Program Number parameter. The following table shows which instrument sound corresponds to each of the 128 possible GM Program Numbers.[3] There are 128 program numbers. The numbers can be displayed as values 1 to 128, or, alternatively, as 0 to 127. The 0 to 127 numbering is usually only used internally by the synthesizer; the vast majority of MIDI devices, digital audio workstations and professional MIDI sequencers display these Program Numbers as shown in the table (1–128).

In other words, the 1-128 convention is supposed to be akin to the real world (ie. you don't stand in the 0th position in a queue, you're not the 0th person to cross the line in a race), whereas the 0-127 one reflects the underlying digital  implementation (ie. the 8-bit registers within the device).

That wiki page says that the "vast majority" of products display 1-128; by that, the FI doesn't align with the "vast majority" of products and it doesn't have an option to change it.

Some better products (eg. the MIDIMan I mentioned earlier) recognise the dichotomy and have a switch to choose.

According to this GM2 wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI_Level_2, the patches are numbered 1-128.

The issue with the FI is that it's surfaced the underlying implementation 0-127 numbering to the UI, but then the docs suggest the numbering starts at 1.

It's only when you try and use it with other equipment that the mismatch is revealed.

Anyway, I only spoke up because I happened upon the thead at a point where the assertion being made that nobody had any issues with the FI; I ditched the product and it's not my problem anymore.