Why become a member? ×

NAD -Ampeg PF500

Guest BassAdder27

After reading all the bad press about the PF500 I pulled the plug and purchased a new one last week as my second amp to the RM800

It is a very nice amp and I’m happy with it ( I had an old PF800 earlier this year ) 

I plan to run my SCR-Di in front of it as I will in front of the RM800

An interesting discovery was the Ultra Low and Ultra hi on the SCR-Di sound very good, the same on the PF500 does sound different, perhaps darker and deeper.

The loudness of the head is probably good enough but it’s not a super loud head although I feel the power comes later on in the output volume control.

Fan noise is obvious but acceptable and nice to know it’s keeping inside cool.

There is definitely something good about the tone out of these amps no better than my Ashdown just different. 

Hoping I get trouble free use and if not it will go back but I’m confident under Yamaha ownership that Ampeg have sorted the early failure issue that was happening around 2012 etc 

My model is 2021 build 👍

Yep I will use my RM800 for larger gigs etc

The PF500 appears to have most of its power with volume past 12 o clock 

The RM800 is loud very quickly as you turn output but I don’t think that really means anything. The RM800 brings a lot of its power in quickly but the PF500 brings it on later. Both great sounding amps 

I decided to return the SCR-DI pedal though … nice as it was I wasn’t gaining much in front of the amp. Both amps sound great without the pedal and at nearly £200 I couldn’t justify keeping it when the PF500 was £379 !! 

Edited by BassAdder27