Why become a member? ×

NAD BVT4500H

stewblack

I didn't expect to be fitting another amp into my collection, but then I seldom do expect these momentary instances of insanity. I bought a Behringer Ultrabass 4500H many, many years ago, with some eye wateringly heavy cabs to match. The cabs have long since disappeared but the head has, over time, become a very firm favourite. There is something about the sound, the tone and shape controls I've always loved, and it has proved to be, incredibly reliable. So when a virtually brand spanking new BVT4500H came up for sale I was intrigued. The price was right, the seller happy to package and post, and before I could say whirlwind romance, it was in my bedroom gazing at me from atop a Barefaced Compact or two.

Not gigged it yet, I'd need a gig to do that, nor even rehearsed with it, so all I can tell you is it sounds great at a very low volume, and it looks awesome. And let's be honest here, that is pretty much the significant detail right now.

It isn't an SVT. It doesn't have any valves. It's nowhere near as heavy to lift as my SVT, and I don't expect it to sound remotely the same. But it has shamelessly borrowed the aesthetic and I fully expect the unknowing to be bowled over, as indeed am I.

1340407088_DSCF7696(2).thumb.JPG.07b401291e2fe83cee6cea3e8af6b3a2.JPG

• Like 1

Congrats Stew, I had one of these for a while as a backup to an SVT 3-PRO and it pretty much nailed the Ampeg sound. Obviously not the full SVT sound but it was very near to the 3-PRO, or at least what I got from it.

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Congrats Stew, I had one of these for a while as a backup to an SVT 3-PRO and it pretty much nailed the Ampeg sound. Obviously not the full SVT sound but it was very near to the 3-PRO, or at least what I got from it.

Cheers mate. I am a sucker for a visually satisfying product. If as you say the sound is good too, then happy days.

A lifetime of gigging has taught me that apart from me, the sound engineer, and maybe one bassist in the audience, no one knows or cares about the bass unless it's not there, so yes, looks are important!

• Like 1