Why become a member? ×

Fenix 5 String Bass, Buyer Advice needed

AstroMan

Hey guys,

I used to play bass guitar but stopped 10 years ago and i want to get back into it. I found a listing for Fenix 5 String bass for about 200€.
Now from the research i´ve done, the fenix basses have a overall good to very good reputation. I´ve also test-played this bass and there are no deadnotes, or anything else that i could find (from a fairly amateurish point of view). The only thing is that one of the 2 potis doesnt do anything. One turns the volume up and down and works fine, the other doesnt really do anything, there is a very slight change in sound when it is at middle point, but either extreme (full right or full left) doenst really change the sound at all.

Now my question is, what is the second poti supposed to do? Is it an easy fix, if its is broken, and are 200€ a good price?

Also I hope this is the right spot for this thread.

Cheers

1index.jpg

index.jpg

index2jpg.jpg

I have a fenix short scale and it's a great bass. Only one pickup on it but my pots are volume and tone. I would guess it's the same on yours with a pickup selector. Guitar electrics are simple and cheap to fix (on a passive bass) so long as the pick up is good. Its an interesting double P pickup like Lee sklars frankenbass. I'd say 200 yo-yos is about right if it plays ok and truss rod works.

Looks like a great bass for the money, Fenix have a deservedly excellent reputation and clearly there are still bargains out there.

There's a Fenix guitars FB group where you should be able to find answers to any questions about the bass - I'm confident they'll recommend that you buy it anyway!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/128212226340

However it does look like the controls are volume, tone & pickup selector. Just a personal thing, but for me I would probably re-wire it with an individual volume for each pickup, & dispense with the selector - I find it useful to be able to blend the pickups, rather than just switch between them.

• Like 1