Why become a member? ×

Noob question about EQ

Jobiebass

ive been playing 3 years or so, but im terrible with EQ. I dont play gigs so ive never really had to pay about with it that much apart from the practice room etc....

what am I doing wrong when you hear lots of string noise? meaning you hear my fingers going up and down the strings etc. I know I can change my tech to stop it but playing fast I find it hard.

im guessing to get dif sounds I can play with the EQ but im not sure whats best, meaning if I want more treb I can cut the bass or increase the treb, but does anyone have a list pre sa saying what type of tone you will get from modifying what treb/mid/bass knob?

Massivly noob questions I know but im sick of fiddling with it and not getting anywhere.

Thanks for your help in advance.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='452300' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:04 PM']Try picking nearer the bridge. If you naturally pick hard, that's the only way you're going to stop the strings bouncing around so much.

Also try turning up if you can't hear yourself properly. You might be digging in too much to compensate for your low level in the mix without realising it.[/quote]

Sorry, I ment with my fretting hand i get too much string noise, I play pretty much play between the humbucker and the bridge anyways except if i wanna play soft.

I'd take the EQ settings back to 12 o'clock and start again

Turn off the bright setting too, just use the EQ

Is that your wish list or actual basses, 'cos you got some active beasts in there too !
I'm afraid you going to have to sit down and have a tinker at volume ideally.

If you have the treble full up un your basses I'd back that off some as well.

Finally take all FX out of the loop until you get a tone your happy with then introduce them back in one at a time.

Edited by Adee

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='452684' date='Apr 2 2009, 07:31 PM']Sorry, I ment with my fretting hand i get too much string noise, I play pretty much play between the humbucker and the bridge anyways except if i wanna play soft.[/quote]

Are you using the "enhance" circuit on your behringer pedal? If so, turn it off.

[quote name='Adee' post='452936' date='Apr 3 2009, 07:54 AM']I'd take the EQ settings back to 12 o'clock and start again

Turn off the bright setting too, just use the EQ

Is that your wish list or actual basses, 'cos you got some active beasts in there too !
I'm afraid you going to have to sit down and have a tinker at volume ideally.

If you have the treble full up un your basses I'd back that off some as well.

Finally take all FX out of the loop until you get a tone your happy with then introduce them back in one at a time.[/quote]

haha, nahh not a wish list, unfortunatly I own basses which far outweigh how well I play.
The flea is 18v and I just cant get what I want out of it tone wise like I could with the stingray, I think I should have stuck with the Bongo altho the B string wasnt being used as much as it should. but the action on the ray is massive compaired so it makes me wanna play the flea. Im not using all the pedals, just the zoom atm, I have most things on flat but ive had to turn the bass down a little on the amp cause the neighbours hate me slapping out naked in the rain or Aeroplane. I used to dip the mid a little and add a little treb on the 'ray but like I said I dont really play that as much anymore. I love playing the flea but like I said, I cant figure out how to get it sounding nice at all. plays beautifully tho.