Why become a member? ×

House Jam Micro Cab

Phil Starr

• 7 months later...

I'm up in Reading brushing up our set with my duo and for a break in the evenings we are hitting the open mics. Tues night we turned up to the loudest sound ever at an 'acoustic' open mic. I actually didn't think the House Jam Cab stood a chance as the rear wall was so far back there woud be no help from there. The guy running it was a bassist who'd toured with name bands back in the 70's. We had the lead for DI into the PA ready and I'd made the obligatory "we're going to need a bigger cab" crack. I turned the amp up plugged the bass cab in and had t turn it down. The response from the host was just WTF and he was still muttering it at the end of our 'set' as I packed up.

This cab was meant to push the envelope when I designed it but it still surprises me. It sounds as good as I'd hoped but the volume was really unexpected.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 10/06/2022 at 19:23, Pea Turgh said:

Outside finished, just need some port tube and spade connectors.

5EEF85D7-970F-40DA-A605-8467DFD1654C.jpeg

Yes I am late to this.

Yes that is very, very, nice. Where did you get the blue covering from please?

• Like 1

Hello.  It’s just a standard household emulsion in a colour that I fancied, then with two coats of a paint protector of some sort, meant for making standard emulsion wipeable.  Seems to be holding up pretty well still!

• Like 2

I've always loved the look of this @Pea Turgh I'm a lazy so and so when it comes to finish and the corners and handle set it off really nicely reminding me I really should take it more seriously. You've even made the round grille look like it belongs rather than the afterthought it is on my cabs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bremen said:

That it is. I'd never heard of paint protector, could use that throughout my house, garden, studio and bogshed...

Just dug out the stuff I used - two coats makes a nice satin finish.  Admittedly, the cab ain’t gigged, but it still looks like new.

IMG_9308.jpeg

Edited by Pea Turgh
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Just dug out the stuff I used - two coats makes a nice satin finish.  Admittedly, the cab ain’t gigged, but it still looks like new.

It doesn't say it makes an excellent job of finishing speaker cabs on the tin though....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rwillett said:

It doesn't say it makes an excellent job of finishing speaker cabs on the tin though....

It says "may induce nausea and vomiting if ingested". I tried some, and it really did do exactly what it says on the tin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bremen said:

It says "may induce nausea and vomiting if ingested". I tried some, and it really did do exactly what it says on the tin.

Your dedication to physically checking and confirming the health and safety information does you credit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1