Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady strings and case recommendations

uk_lefty

I've got an Epi JC bass incoming, hurrah! Wanted one for ages, got sick of making enquiries to retailers who told me that deliveries from Gibson/ Epiphone are basically lucky dip so there's no way they know if or when anything comes in...

Regardless, saw a lefty on eBay this weekend and hit the Buy It Now button.

I am going to need a case and some strings... Just wanted some recommendations on both, please. Is there a cheaper case than Epiphone's own? What strings are people using?

Thank you!

I'm using the stock strings, nickel rounds of some sort - didn't find them objectionable.  If I had to change then I'd probably stick on some D'addario XLs or something.

The only hard case I'd be comfortable using (beyond something custom made and therefore not cheaper) would be Epiphone's own one.  As far as gigbags go, I have had good results in the past with Warwick Rockbags - they do a couple for semi hollow basses - probably intended for their own Star Bass but the JC fits in those bags well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

The only hard case I'd be comfortable using (beyond something custom made and therefore not cheaper) would be Epiphone's own one.

Thanks. I was hoping there would be a Harley Benton or Gear4music cheaper version but doesn't look like it, sadly.

Also, I didn't think there was any point in mentioning it as I don't think it's available retail but my 20th Anniversary JC came with a gigbag which (obviously) fits.  Maybe someone might sell theirs on eBag or whatever?  Long shot, which is why I was debating whether or not to mention it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I’ve got a RokSak gig bag that fits well. As to strings I’ve got La Bella Deep Talking on. You need strings without silks at the ball end for the 3 point bridge, but you probably know this already.

I didn't know that, thanks!

I had a s/h JC Bass some time ago which came strung with TI flats - really suited the vibe and sound of it too. It came with a fairly battered old hard case but I managed to find a newer s/h Epiphone fitted case which was lovely quality and fitted it snugly.

Lovely basses tho and much more versatile than I expected. 

Edited by bassbiscuits
Edited for typo
  • Like 1