Why become a member? ×

New Cabs Day: ABM Pro Neo

uk_lefty

New band, lots of gigs booked... I was time to upgrade the cabs. I was using Rootmaster cabs and regretted selling off my second 1x15. The sound of two 15s was exactly what I wanted. I tried a 1x15 and a 2x10 and always felt something was missing. Those have both been re-homed via Basschat. 

I happened upon a deal for an ABM Pro Neo. I received it a few weeks back and it was good. But I bought the last one. Then a second turned up as B stock and I just had to get it. So now my rig is a Rootmaster 500 head into TWO 1x15 ABM Pro Neos. Same weight, or lack thereof, as the Rootmaster cabs, but there's a solid metal grille to protect the blue speaker and a bit more authority to the sound. I had the Neo and the Rootmaster side by side for a few days and could feel a difference. Can't wait to push the rig a bit, not that the volume will need to be going above 3 or 4 notches, and feel the bass presence with the band! 

IMG20211110131715.jpg

• Like 6

Nice one, I`ve got two of the 210s, am yet to use in a band setting but at home settings they sound great. The ruggedness of the steel grill was one of the factors that made me change up my RM cabs for the ABM PRO NEOs, think they`ll be more hard-wearing for gigging, as well as matching my ABM600.

• Like 1

The band I've joined does a pop goes rock type thing and they're very good at it, having been at it over ten years. In my old band a clean Jazz or P bass sound with no effects was 99% what I needed, otherwise there was sonic mush against two guitars. Now, working with two guitarists again, one is the singer who drops out of guitar playing a lot, there's space to be filled by big, fat, hairy bass. Because I'm not always copying the bass part I'm trying to emulate some synth bass and synth fills I'm using fuzz a lot, and some wah, and there's almost always some overdrive going on to fill out the sound. I auditioned with a big hefty sound and the drummer liked it so I've kept it up. It's all Stingray, and now through two fifteens, that should do the job! 

42 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It`s amazing how well a driven sound fits in the mix and fills it out. My fave example of this is Phil X & The Drills doing My Sharona, the bass is just awesome.

That's something I'm learning a lot more about. I was never thrilled about distortion on bass and I love a good clean tone, but if there's space there for it and it's appropriate it can really lift things. Also, listening to some isolated bass tracks you hear the imperfections and often a lot more grit than you'd expect on some tracks and it just makes the whole mix work. Also helps if your two guitarists aren't just creating an impenetrable wall of sound (didn't want to say noise there... The guitarists in the last band were v good, there just wasn't room for the bass to breathe as much as I have now).

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

It`s amazing how well a driven sound fits in the mix and fills it out. My fave example of this is Phil X & The Drills doing My Sharona, the bass is just awesome.

20 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

That's something I'm learning a lot more about. I was never thrilled about distortion on bass and I love a good clean tone, but if there's space there for it and it's appropriate it can really lift things. Also, listening to some isolated bass tracks you hear the imperfections and often a lot more grit than you'd expect on some tracks and it just makes the whole mix work. Also helps if your two guitarists aren't just creating an impenetrable wall of sound (didn't want to say noise there... The guitarists in the last band were v good, there just wasn't room for the bass to breathe as much as I have now).

Ditto. Always thought I wanted a clean tone. Spent the last 3 years wanting anything but, though now I'm in a function band again I need to reign it in occasionally haha.

A little drive goes a long way IMO, and the Ashdown OriginAL pedal, if handled delicately, can give you that. :)

Nice rig .. I have the 210 cabs and they pair very well with my ABM600

At first I thought I should of purchased the ported compact versions but I’m now happy and they work well in my rock covers band. 

You can carry them in one hand too 

I got Roqsolid covers made for mine 

I also place an anti vibration rubber mat on top to stop anything vibrating which helps the lighter RM heads too.