Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

52 minutes ago, dagrev said:

It sounds like some of us were doing what Ashdown suggested, as I understood it.

1. Set your input as high as needed/desired.

2. Adjust everything else.

But what PigBass said really sounds like the better way to go about it.  

Yeah I’ve been diming the input gain trying to get the needle around the redline mark on the vu meter and then adjusting the valve blend to suit.

I was told that the drive, EQ etc all effect the input signal and often you need to cut the input level if boosting drive of EQ 

This was from Dave Green himself  and I think there are various ways to do it but keeping a healthy input signal without it being in the red too much is key 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Completely agree @BassAdder60, my comments were specific to the relationship between Gain and Drive on these fabulous amps. But you’re right, having a strong input signal is key to getting the best from the amp. 

• Like 1

I got my used ABM 500 EVO III recently to deal with two basses that were somewhat hallow sounding (pickup approaching the neck to much for me). After using the head at practice and live for a few weeks I can attest to this fixing my problem, and fixing it very well. The two basses sound better--one phenomenally better and even a few that didn't need "fixing" sound as good or better than with my Ampeg all tube head.  The bass I used at rehearsal sounded so good Wed, I used it this weekend. It was not a really a problem bass and was decent sounding, but via the ABM it was amazing. I only wish I had looked into Ashdown years ago when I took an old MAG in as part of a trade. I knew I liked it but never looked into them much further and traded it. I was in an Ampeg frame of mind back then. Still love my Ampeg heads, but the ABM is working some magic they can't pull off.   

• Like 1

On 07/07/2024 at 11:05, Jim Bob Wilkenson said:

Nope. I’ve sent pre- to the FOH engineer for the reasons you’ve mentioned…until I heard the crap coming from the FOH! Now, it’s post- or mic’d. A good engineer will know what to do with the signal I send them.

I'm catching up.... I agree. I know sound people have to make it all work and most do great jobs with what they have to work with (including hardheaded musicians thinking they are in stadium), but at times it seems they have the same plan for everyone for the sake of ease. I once turned my amp and cab off (my main monitor), and walked back with a wireless and could not believe the thin poopy sound coming from my bass. After it was over the sound guy and were chatting and nicely talking about live sound and I was able to slip in, "You know, I've never had a sound person ask what I or the band wanted it to sound like FOH." Blank look of not knowing what to say. This is one reason years ago we would try to have friends from other bands do sound because they knew what we intended to sound like. Variables of the room factored in. I now send a slightly flavored signal via separate DI to the board and then let them fool with it. 

Oddly enough I was in a music store in TN (not Nash), just checking things out and a sound guy was teaching a class on sound, obviously, and I heard him say just use a plain DI with bass, micing a cab isn't important like with a guitar. I know there are some differences, but I stopped and just looked at the dude hoping he would notice my puzzled expression. I know it's a big debate, one I'm not seeking to start. But the disrespect the bass gets is truly amazing at times. But as long as the kick is louder than everything but vocals, all it well! (Sarcasm.)

Edited by dagrev
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Playing through my ABM 600 last night, eq set great and a nice bit of grit and harmonics through the valve drive. it really was sounding lovely. Then all of a sudden nothing, no light on the vu, no sound and no power. Tried swapping power cables but no joy. I can only assume its the fuse next to the kettle lead input that has blown.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just a bog standard fuse I need to get? Should I be worried if it is that fuse has gone?

Im normally really prepared at gigs, but its never occurred to me to bring spare fuses.

Luckily the sound guy had a mag 300 head available. I used to have mag 300 210 combo - I found it pretty gutless, but I paired it with my Genz Benz 212 and it sounded superb with power on tap. just goes to show how important a decent cab is.

• Like 1

I bought an ABM 300 Evo 11 and the pair of Mini Cabs 4x8 and 1x15 must be 25 years ago.  Gigged the hell out of it dropped it threw beer over it and sold it for something shiny and new. Since the GAS has brought me so many amps I can’t think to start listing them! On Sat night my senses returned and I ordered and ABM 300 Evo IV at a silly price direct from Ashdowns bargain basement. It feels like coming Home ……

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stealth said:

I bought an ABM 300 Evo 11 and the pair of Mini Cabs 4x8 and 1x15 must be 25 years ago.  Gigged the hell out of it dropped it threw beer over it and sold it for something shiny and new. Since the GAS has brought me so many amps I can’t think to start listing them! On Sat night my senses returned and I ordered and ABM 300 Evo IV at a silly price direct from Ashdowns bargain basement. It feels like coming Home ……

By God those 4x8 cabs were heavy!! I don't know what they had in them but flippin eck I couldnt take one to a gig one now :)

On 17/08/2024 at 06:42, alexa3020 said:

Playing through my ABM 600 last night, eq set great and a nice bit of grit and harmonics through the valve drive. it really was sounding lovely. Then all of a sudden nothing, no light on the vu, no sound and no power. Tried swapping power cables but no joy. I can only assume its the fuse next to the kettle lead input that has blown.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just a bog standard fuse I need to get? Should I be worried if it is that fuse has gone?

Im normally really prepared at gigs, but its never occurred to me to bring spare fuses.

Luckily the sound guy had a mag 300 head available. I used to have mag 300 210 combo - I found it pretty gutless, but I paired it with my Genz Benz 212 and it sounded superb with power on tap. just goes to show how important a decent cab is.

Might be worth giving Ashdown a call, they'll be able to let you know how serious the problem might be and potentially arrange for a repair.

On 17/08/2024 at 06:42, alexa3020 said:

The fuse holder on these amps have a handy space to stash a spare fuse. I never leave home without one, luckily so far never needed a spare. If its the input fuse that's blown, swapping it with another of the same rating( usually a T4A 250V anti surge on ABM600's - it will say on the back what your version has) and type will give you an indication of what might be the issue. If the amp powers up normally, it's likely something to do with the mains supply that blew it in the first place. If the replacement blows, its likely you have a problem with the amp. The modern transformers on these amps rarely give any problems, it could be a shorted output device(s) on the output circuit board if the input fuse is blowing instantly. ABM's are easily repaired, and Ashdown UK have great customer service. It would be well worth calling them up to have a chat with about fixing your amp.

IMG_4076.thumb.jpeg.0e2ae60c4f730197d9bd61b72353791d.jpeg

• Like 2

On 20/08/2024 at 16:15, DGBass said:

The fuse holder on these amps have a handy space to stash a spare fuse. I never leave home without one, luckily so far never needed a spare. If its the input fuse that's blown, swapping it with another of the same rating( usually a T4A 250V anti surge on ABM600's - it will say on the back what your version has) and type will give you an indication of what might be the issue. If the amp powers up normally, it's likely something to do with the mains supply that blew it in the first place. If the replacement blows, its likely you have a problem with the amp. The modern transformers on these amps rarely give any problems, it could be a shorted output device(s) on the output circuit board if the input fuse is blowing instantly. ABM's are easily repaired, and Ashdown UK have great customer service. It would be well worth calling them up to have a chat with about fixing your amp.

Bad news, the fuse blows every time its powered up. I have contacted Dave Green at Ashdown. The amp itself is pretty much mint and has done maybe 25 gigs, is not used for practice and stored in a bag at home. 

Lets see what happens

• Like 2