Why become a member? ×

Looking for a thick P neck

Mr. Foxen

I really like the profile of the neck on my Johnson bass, its a lot like a bat, thick and round, I was told its like the old tele bass necks, but I've never had hold of one. Gonna be looking for a new neck similarly chunky but with a little more quality, better fretting and finish etc. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='454983' date='Apr 5 2009, 10:37 PM']I really like the profile of the neck on my Johnson bass, its a lot like a bat, thick and round, I was told its like the old tele bass necks, but I've never had hold of one. Gonna be looking for a new neck similarly chunky but with a little more quality, better fretting and finish etc. Any suggestions?[/quote]

There's one on my Valenti - for sale :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='454983' date='Apr 5 2009, 10:37 PM']I really like the profile of the neck on my Johnson bass, its a lot like a bat, thick and round, I was told its like the old tele bass necks, but I've never had hold of one. Gonna be looking for a new neck similarly chunky but with a little more quality, better fretting and finish etc. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Warmoth.

[quote name='bremen' post='456244' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:13 AM']Warmoth.[/quote]

The do a whole variety of neck sizes, I notice the mostly seem to say 'slim profile' which is not a description of what I want, how to describe what I do want would be useful. 'Like one of the cheapest basses you can get' is not ideal.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='456302' date='Apr 7 2009, 12:12 PM']The do a whole variety of neck sizes, I notice the mostly seem to say 'slim profile' which is not a description of what I want,[/quote]

If they call their P necks 'slim profile' they're lying. I have two and they are definitely 'thick and round'; same width as Fenders but considerably deeper.

[quote]how to describe what I do want would be useful. 'Like one of the cheapest basses you can get' is not ideal.[/quote]

um?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='456729' date='Apr 7 2009, 07:40 PM']I'm sort of looking for how to describe the profile of the neck of my Johnson bass, so some sort of guidance there would be good, I'm sure 'slim profile' doesn't cover it.[/quote]

Here's a good example from Ibanez

a : Width at Nut
b : Width at 12th Fret
c: Thickness at 1st
d : Thickness at 12th

Also some idea of the curvature of the back of the neck - baseball bat, slim and flat, C shaped, V shaped, etc..