Why become a member? ×

Which finish would you recommend?

Cubinston

Hello, I decided to take down that thick poly finish from my bass, but I struggle to find perfect new finish for me. I'm looking for something that will keep that nice wood feel, open pores etc. but at the same time will protect the wood from all that ugly things and won't require any maintenance. I've searched internet for different oils and found that tung oil doesn't protect that well and needs maintenance. Tru oil seems too glossy for me (maybe less coats would look good, but will it be enough protection?). Does anybody have any experience with these oils and the look I want? Or do you know something else that would work fine for me? Btw, I want to use it both on body (alder) and neck (maple). Thank you for your wisdom :D

It might worth having a read through some threads in the 'Build Diaries' section, there's lots of info on different oil finishes, how to apply and their pros and cons. 

@Andyjr1515 in particular always posts lots of info on how he does things and what discovers along the way.

Loads of info for a home refinisher as he doesn't have access to fancy refinishing equipment and explains ways to achieve a great finish in the comfort of your home/shed/basement. 

Thanks @Maude for flagging this :)

Welcome, @Cubinston  !

What you have described is perfect for the alternative way of applying Tru-oil - the 'slurry and buff' method.  It gives you a satin, silky smooth but organic finish.  It lightly grain fills at the same time but leaves most of the grain features still showing. 

It's also VERY easy to do:

- wipe on a coat of the Tru-oil and let it dry overnight

- wipe on a second coat of  Tru-oil and let it dry overnight

- take a small piece of (best to wear latex/nitrile gloves - it's a messy step) c 240 grit sandpaper / wet and dry and sand it along the grain using the Tru-oil as the wet bit.  This will create a slurry of oil and wood dust.  After no more than 10 minutes, wipe this off, across the grain, with a lint-free cloth.  Leave it to harden overnight

- repeat the last step above, this time, wiping ALL of the slurry off, sanding and wiping with the grain.  Let it dry.

- repeat but this time with fine sandpaper/emery (500 grit or finer) sanding and wiping with the grain.  Take a second lint free cloth and buff the surface with the grain.  Let it dry

- repeat the last step once more.  Buff vigorously with the grain.  Let it fully dry - couple of days - then buff it again, dry.

Done

This is my Bubinga bass done that way.  Four years later, it still looks like this:

qp0oA6pl.jpg

It feels like wood but is silky smooth.  I do ALL of my necks this way, even if the rest of the guitar or bass is gloss...

• Like 3