Why become a member? ×

Building a Wal....ish

funkle

Hello dear friends! It's been a long time since I've written anything about my achievements in building preamp. Finally, we managed to sit down more thoroughly, and make a small recording, and for greater interest we will do it in the form of a blind test. There are 4 different basses recorded here, among which there is washburn with my copy of wal. All bass guitars are stacked in a mix of software with one volume level, and with on-board adjustments. No external equalization was performed. Can you guess which one is which?)

1724396277.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

last one is the Jazz I think 😉

1st one the Wal circuit ?

the 4th track is really jazz bass, but the 1st is not washburn) I think it's easiest to do on the B string :))

8 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Great!   :party:          There's a distinctive rasp on one or two of the notes that simply stood out.  Great stuff - and great circuit work :)

The one who made the recordings has not yet understood all the nuances, the same sound periodically slips through, but he still has everything ahead of him! :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Great!   :party:          There's a distinctive rasp on one or two of the notes that simply stood out.  Great stuff - and great circuit work :)

Thank you very much! This is the best compliment! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, friends! Today I finished the first set of pickups in multicoil format. I changed the form factor a bit, but kept all the original coil arrangements. I will make the first samples soon, it remains only to install them in the bass.

IMG_20240825_103321.jpg

• Like 7

Ooh, another set of pickups for folks to try. Very interesting….what are the dimensions/format? What is the ‘formula’? - ceramic magnets, winds per coil, wire type and size, keepers, etc etc?

8 minutes ago, funkle said:

Ooh, another set of pickups for folks to try. Very interesting….what are the dimensions/format? What is the ‘formula’? - ceramic magnets, winds per coil, wire type and size, keepers, etc etc?

I used steel cores with a diameter of 5 mm. Of these, I built coils with a height of 11 mm and a diameter of 13 mm. He wound a wire with a diameter of 0.05 mm, about 10,000 turns. As a result, I completely filled the coil, and reached the resistance of 2k5. The final resistance of the pickup when connecting the coils in series-in parallel came out 1k2. The capacitance was about 80 pf, and the inductance was about 1.8 Henry. This is ideal for preamp, it remains only to adjust the peak attack, which is also done in the original scheme. I used ceramic magnets. Since the standard length of the steel rod is 15 mm, taking into account the coil and the board, the gap between the magnet and the coil was 3 mm. This is more than acceptable. Although, even if the magnet was lying close, it wouldn't bother me :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Just make some 5 string pickups in EMG/Bart format and tap into a new market.  Ideally 16-17mm string spacing.

Yes, I am currently busy casting 5-string cases in p2 format (bartolini). I estimate the interstring distance under the bridge at an average of 17.5 mm

• Like 1

Hello friends! In general, all installations are completed, and final conclusions can be drawn. These sounds rock the low frequencies very much. Despite the fact that I use the original Zobel filter, it feels great. With the tsobel filter disabled, there are so many low ones that you begin to understand the expediency of using it :)

IMG-20240909-WA0011.jpeg

IMG_20240909_195009.jpg

IMG_20240909_212627.jpg

• Like 3