Why become a member? ×

Industrial Radio MIDIbass PJ saga

Quatschmacher

6 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

No. It’s a wired fret technology so the pitch is already determined by the string touching the fret and making a connection (or lack thereof for open strings) before the string has even been struck. Consequently the latency is only as much as it takes the piezo saddles to detect string movement above the set threshold, which is consistently 5-8ms anywhere on the instrument. 

Ok, thats useful to know. I wonder how it handles bending or slap? 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Ok, thats useful to know. I wonder how it handles bending or slap? 

Works fine. Bending is handled by detecting the change in string tension at the bridge. Slapping is just another trigger detection at the bridge. There are videos on YouTube (also shared on the IR thread in the “basses” section showing it slapped).

Edited by Quatschmacher

I used to have a Peavey MIDIBass (or however you spell it). It was to be the bass to end all basses for me. Midi triggering was all they said it would be. It was just fine and dandy. It sucked as an actual bass guitars. I do wish I still had it though. Just another in a long line of instruments I was too lazy to delve in to properly. At least I am consistent.

They were not uncommon, I wonder where they are now?

There still is the Lightwave optical solution with also close to zero latency, now belonging to Willcox: https://www.willcoxguitars.com/product-category/hexfx-editions/

I owned one of the very first generation (with its lot of luthiery issues) and it was working really well with absolutely no audible latency even down to a low B.

The perfect fine-tuning of the system is easy to achieve, but not for everyone...