Why become a member? ×

Recommend headless tuners (bass and guitar)

prowla

Some time ago I picked up a 6/4 doubleneck for not a lot of money.

Both its bass and guitar "Overlord of Music" bridges were pooped and the original owner had given up on it and just wanted rid.

I've got the instrument to a working state:

• I managed to repair the guitar trem bridge, but I've had to lock it in position as the trem just plain doesn't work.
  • The bass bridge was a bit grim, with some of the string-pull claws failing; the tuning bolts were actually stock M4 bolts with a knurled end slotted over them and they were way stronger than the soft metal string pull claws and just graunched their threads. I bought a replacement unit, but it arrived faulty too (the claws snagged against the upper cover and so it wouldn't tune); I got a partial refund and managed to make one working one out of the two.

But the thing is that both bridges cannot in any way be considered reliable.

The shame is that the rest of the instrument is quite nice and very playable (maybe bar the nut-end string clamps which leave sharp ends pointing out, ouch!).

I also fitted a pair of copy Ric pickups, which were exact replacements for the fake-branded EMGs it had.

So, my question is, are there any decent quality headless tuners available at a decent price; the Hipshot ones are too much and Steinbergers seem to be a rarity?

The guitar:

4qSoisC.jpg

The bass bridge:

vaTgb5b.jpg

Edited by prowla

Nova Guitar Parts - Andre Passini - they are excellent!

ZAt2X2jl.jpg

I used them on @Jus Lukin 's build here:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/442299-finished-its-a-bass-jim

But don't search on ebay - some folks in China have knocked them off including the logo!  Contact Andre directly through his Nova Guitar Parts Facebook page - he will ship directly from Brazil but that is pretty quick and painless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Nova Guitar Parts - Andre Passini - they are excellent!

ZAt2X2jl.jpg

I used them on @Jus Lukin 's build here:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/442299-finished-its-a-bass-jim

But don't search on ebay - some folks in China have knocked them off including the logo!  Contact Andre directly through his Nova Guitar Parts Facebook page - he will ship directly from Brazil but that is pretty quick and painless.

Hmmm - they do look rather nice.