Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ampeg PF800

Guest BassAdder27

New amp day .. new Ampeg PF800 on its way 

Had one of these last year that I purchased secondhand and later sold in favour of other amps.  I miss the Ampeg tone so it will be a nice pairing with my SVT212AV cab 

Edited by BassAdder27

• Guest changed the title to NNAD- Ampeg PF800

PF800 arrived today and it’s a sweet match with my SVT212AV cab

I’ve had these amps before when I had my Ashdown cabs and i always thought they sounded nice but nothing special! However …

paired with the Ampeg SVT212AV cab it’s a lovely sound and easy to get a quick EQ that sounds good

Even the onboard compressor seems good enough..

So pleased my Orange Little Bass Thing head will shortly be going up for sale as I don’t need three amps !! 

Will use the ABM600 for some gigs and the PF800 for others 👍

I’m liking the PF800 a lot and it will be put to the test at a loud rehearsal soon. 

There is a difference to the EQ on the Ampeg ( easier to get a great sound ) compared to my ABM600 which has so many more sounds. 
The compressor on the Ampeg is really nice too 

Watch out ABM as you may be relegated to back up amp status !! 

I know, I`m very pleased so far with my SCR-DI, it`s the exact sound I want, only downside is it`s a bit big/weighty so having had a play I can get almost there with my Sansamp, but the Ampeg sound just blends into the mix so well.

• Guest changed the title to NAD - Ampeg PF800

Ok amp report .. tried the PF800 with the band 

Nice amp and great tone .. but ..

It seems to be underpowered in comparison too which is disappointing for a 800w head. 

Will try again with perhaps stronger input signal and see how it fairs 

Edited by BassAdder27

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

Back for a refund or to be replaced?

I think refund .. I’m sure there is a better choice out there for me in the Ampeg range just haven’t found it yet.

Needs to be a powerful loud amp but not all valve. 
I’ve played in the past SVT CL heads and SVT3Pro ( under powered ) PF500 and PF800 

5 hours ago, police squad said:

my PF500 was never underpowered. Fab amp, fab sound. I'm surprised that you find it underpowered (unless you have a super light touch, which I don't)

Maybe, increase the input gain a little

The input was at approx 3pm and red light occasionally flickering. The input pad was not engaged 

Master was as 12:00 o’clock and this was our rehearsal rooms ( loud rock band ) 

Using my SVT212AV cab that is normally a very loud cab 

Maybe the PF give out their power in the latter part of the output volume but after reading about PF shutdown issues and now the odd whining noise on start up it’s time to say goodbye.

Edited by BassAdder27

That should have been plenty loud, I wonder if there might be a problem with it. My first PF500 I had the Input Gain on about 2pm, volume generally 10 or 11pm, these settings didn’t really change irrespective of cabs, and they were gig settings. 

29 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That should have been plenty loud, I wonder if there might be a problem with it. My first PF500 I had the Input Gain on about 2pm, volume generally 10 or 11pm, these settings didn’t really change irrespective of cabs, and they were gig settings. 

I agree it should of been loud, it was but perhaps not as loud as I expected it could be. 
We do rehearse at very loud levels sometimes as it’s our chance to blow away the cobwebs. Probably too loud for a typical large pub but as a comparison my ABM600 master is on around 9 to 10 o clock and it’s louder than the PF800 or seems it for sure. 

I think some of that might be the difference between Class A/B/whichever of the Ashdown and Class D of the Ampeg. That elusive “heft” which makes an amp seem louder, with its greater depth & presence of sound.