Why become a member? ×

Looking to get more "modular" with my cabs

BigJHW

So tomorrow - as long as there's not some crazy disaster that stops me i'm picking up a TecAmp Puma 500 head
played on a while back and the sound when "flat" was perfect.. super clean which is ideal for how i play.

I want to complement it with a a couple of 8ohm cabs
that way i have the option to rock out at 250ish watts with 1 cab or for a larger venue take both cabs and play with the full 500 

Currently running a Barefaced 212T (Gen 1 i think) - which don't get me wrong IS amazing, actually super lite for a 2x12 cab with tweeter and has a HUGE amount of headroom as i think you can push them to 1200watts if i REALLY wanted too.. 

Wondering if you guys n gals from the low end world could suggest 2 8ohm cabs.. ideally rated to 600watts (in case i need to use all 500 from the head ever so i don't blow em)

I'd like them to be quite lite
2x10 would probably work well tho i think the 2nd cab would have to be a 1x15
or maybe 2 x 2x12 cabs

I've never really looked around for suggestions on 8ohm cabs as i've had this Barefaced a good while now.
but the fella i bought it off though good ole FB Market did say he's on here and recommends jumping on here to find gear and get advice.  (If you're here Mr Bass Player from "No Jacket Required" - still THANKS love this Barefaced cab)

Anyway thanks in advance.

Big JHW

Given the fact that you're happy with the BF. What do you gain by changing?

The size is similar to the two cabs you'd be getting, for the bigger gigs. The footprint is the same, and the weight will be similar. 

You'd have two things to carry instead of one.

Just slightly playing devil's advocate but the BF will be very light and capable of being quiet if you use the volume control. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

It's in the OP. Less haulage for most gigs.

Other benefit can be avoiding startling venue managers by setting up the 212 when it's overkill.

Thanks, Einstein. I did see that (eyes can be such useful things).

I am merely challenging whether that's a real gain. A BF cab is not the heaviest thing and so there's not really a huge advantage in the sheer weight division. If he is doing a two-cab gig then he's actually more inconvenienced, I would think (as I know, going from a 2x15 to 2 1x15's - they didn't make a 2x15 at the time). As for worrying venues, I used to get that wheeling in my 2x15. First note played and the guy would say 'ok, I get it now'.

I ended by saying I was playing devil's advocate. I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you don't know what that means.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Given the fact that you're happy with the BF. What do you gain by changing?

The size is similar to the two cabs you'd be getting, for the bigger gigs. The footprint is the same, and the weight will be similar. 

You'd have two things to carry instead of one.

Just slightly playing devil's advocate but the BF will be very light and capable of being quiet if you use the volume control. 

Ya know what i hadn't considered "foot print" (room taken up on the actual stage)
was more thinking room taken up in the vehicle on the way too a gig.

Footprint wise i guess anything i get is going to be very similar on the floor in fact a 1x15 might be bigger.. 
see i knew coming here would make me think of something i hadn't considered...

Maybe i should consider instead saving up as much as possible towards a Gen 3 BF 212 and sell the Gen 1 that i'm using..

You've left me with more to consider than i intended haha

UK venues don't have a clue about bands and gear from my experience.. i could show up with 2 4x10's and they wouldn't understand why that would be overkill for a 100seater pub lol.. Showing up with a 2x12 probably just looks like "something the band use" to them haha.

Edited by BigJHW
didn't need to tag Steve as i was replying to him
  • Like 1