Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3n How to select just one effects pedal from the manual list

Falcon16

Hi there, my first post. Is it possible using the Guitar Lab or the actual multi effects unit to select just one effects pedal? I am not looking for a Patch, i.e. I would like to go through  all the listed Dynamics pedals individually to see which one suits me best. Thankyou.

Zooms are such great bang for buck...

Have ya got the FULL Manual? Not just a Quick Start Guide, and the FX list?

https://zoomcorp.com/en/gb/multi-effects/bass-effects/b3n/b3n-support/

Start with making sure you have the latest firmware update...

Think you want 'Stomp' mode...

Me, with my Basic B1on, i cleared all the patches, and then printed out /  looked at the FX list and just put one FX pedal in each patch... drives next to each other, Dists next to each other, Chorus' next to each other, etc.

Easy way to compare and decide which i like best.

Which sounds like what you want to do with the Dynamic FX.

I don't use any of the std patches

Just a couple of effects and amp cab sim,

I have patches with Chorus, Phaser etc at different strengths and amounts of drive...

Great way to build up and down within a song... or go one/two patch per song!

If it goes Tits-Up... or after you have chosen ya Fav's to build ya own patches, Factory Reset and go again.

Blank a Bank and Build .

With the B3 in stomp mode you can turn an FX on or off within the patch.

Also try the free Zoom ToneLib software. I have to cos Guitar Lib doesnt work for the old B1on.

Edited by PaulThePlug

• 3 weeks later...

Can I jump on this thread an ask a related question?

I'd like to use a B3 as discussed above. 3 individual stomp boxes essentially.

My question is, can I use a Cab Sim to the DI output even when all three stomp-boxes aren't engaged? ( ie just the bass signal going into the unit )

Also, Can I have Cab Sim to the DI and not to the output that goes to my bass amp?

cheers

Dunno about the finer B3 settings for DI etc... Download the Full Manual and FX Lists, along with the latest Firmware from the Zoom site, rather than just go with the Quick User or Getting Started Guide

But with the B1on the Amp Sim is just like one of the effects you can have off the 5 in chain... and i have some patches of just the Marshall Superbass at differing settings... (you can turn the Cab bit on and off)

The B1on doesn't really do 'Stomp Mode' like the B1Four and other Zooms... You can turn effects within a patch On or Off but it's more a Finger/Button rather than Foot/Pedal action.

Which is why i approach it more as a Patch 'n Play.... with 10 Banks of 10 Patches...

With only a 1/4" Jack out would a Jack to XLR lead or Adaptor be better to feed a mixer or for DI, or as the output wouldn't be 3 wire Balanced wouldnt make any difference... apart from the style of socket connection?

Edited by PaulThePlug

1 hour ago, DaleASmith said:

I'd like to use a B3 as discussed above. 3 individual stomp boxes essentially.

My question is, can I use a Cab Sim to the DI output even when all three stomp-boxes aren't engaged? ( ie just the bass signal going into the unit )

Also, Can I have Cab Sim to the DI and not to the output that goes to my bass amp?

From looking at the B3 Manual...

1 Yes... but i think an Amp/Cab sim takes one of the 3 FX slots.

2 mmm Not Sure on that... It's the Pre/Post Switch... Reads like you can only have it the other way round... I might be wrong because what you describe would be exactly what you would want, A 'style' output to FoH or Desk and a standard out to your own amp/cab.

PRE/POST switch Use this switch to set the point when the signal is output from the BALANCED OUT connector. Set it to “POST” (pushed in) to output the signal after the effects. Set it to “PRE” (not pushed in) to output the signal before the  effects.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

@PaulThePlug thanks for that.

The above quote regarding the pre/post seems odd to me in that, if a Cab Sim takes up one slot, then you have to have it selected to be sent to the DI, which is fine. But, then surely it is also sent to the amp via the output, which you wouldn't want right?

I've not read the manual as I don't own the unit but I'm just considering my options..

Just found this...

"

To be specific, there exists a "Mix" parameter for each B3 amplifier sim that should be set based on your connected equipment, usage intent, and ultimately, the tone that is desired. The "Mix" in this case is the level of the preamp simulation vs. the cabinet-effected simulation. The lukewarm default for all amp sims on the B3 is always an ineffective 50%. Yes, you will hear something using that value, but it most likely is not exactly what you want to hear.

To keep things simple for now, I will only focus on this "Mix" parameter for the amp sims and not any other patch-level (i.e. TOTAL menu) or device-level (i.e. GLOBAL menu) parameters.

For my "power amp and real bass cabinets" situation (see my previous posts) I have found the best results are achieved using 100% of the preamp sim and 0% of the cabinet sim. This equates to a "Mix" parameter value of 0 and NOT the default value of 50. IMHO this difference has a very measurable impact on the resulting tone and is worthy of your attention and experimentation.

In situations where you are feeding a mixer, recorder or projecting through a full-range monitor speaker (QSC K, Mackie SRM, etc.) I have found the best results are achieved using 0% of the preamp sim and 100% of the cabinet sim. This equates to a "Mix" parameter value of 100 and NOT the default value of 50. Try it for yourself and it is likely the B3 will then become your new best friend.

"

Interesting. Only thing not covered is whether the MIX function applies to all outputs or either DI / Amp outputs..

Further reading would indicate that Cab Sim is applied to both, or not. Seems odd to me that you cant send a Cab Sim to DI and no Cab Sim to your amp...

I'm fairly sure Line6 have always had this option. DI has the cab sim applied, but the standard output doesn't.. 

Edited by DaleASmith