Why become a member? ×

Alternative to tascam bt phrase trainer ?

Geek99

I have 5 pieces of tascam equipment including a BT10 and a GB10.  All apart from one have failed. The one that hasn't failed doesn't get used.  The headphone and input sockets are the main culprit - tascam won't repair them.  Not a happy bunny. No more tascam equipment for me!.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

I use a Tascam GB-10, though that's not exactly what you want as you transfer MP3s or WAV files to it. They do work well though.

Coming up for a decade of near daily service from my GB10. Arguably one of the most important pieces of kit I own.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, andyonbass said:

I have one of these I no longer use, 15 quid posted if you want it...

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

We all have one we no longer use! 

Did you guys ever use the link function to play with other folks? 

• 2 years later...

Hardly a Lazarus thread but worth reviving.

My GB-10 still works just fine but it's a technology hangover from 15 years ago which brings all sorts of compatability issues. Half the tracks I want to play on it come up with Non-Supported and even after processing through both Reaper and Lame XP all too often I still can't get the MP3 to play.

Getting bored now.

I'll ask @Geek99's question again, but I have NO INTEREST in headphone amps. What I want is a modern product that will allow me to:

• change the key of the track I'm playing,
  • adjust the tuning for when autotune has left the published MP3 30 cents away from concert pitch,
  • loop a track or a section of a track,
  • slow down a track without changing pitch.

If it also has a tuner and a metronome then that's nice but I don't actually need those functions. If it's an app for my android phone then I can live with it but quite frankly I'd prefer a separate piece of kit.

What I really want is a Tascam GB-10 designed in 2024 but that doesn't seem to exist.

Any suggestions?

10 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I'll ask @Geek99's question again, but I have NO INTEREST in headphone amps. What I want is a modern product that will allow me to:

• adjust the tuning for when autotune has left the published MP3 30 cents away from concert pitch,

Audacity will do all of that - would a version of that loaded onto a tablet help? You'd need some doohickey to combine the signal from your bass and the mp3's but with a tablet, you'd get internet functionality too. 

31 minutes ago, rushbo said:

Audacity will do all of that - would a version of that loaded onto a tablet help? You'd need some doohickey to combine the signal from your bass and the mp3's but with a tablet, you'd get internet functionality too. 

I already have Reaper, which will run (for a given value of "run") on Android but it ain't fun.

6 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Hardly a Lazarus thread but worth reviving.

My GB-10 still works just fine but it's a technology hangover from 15 years ago which brings all sorts of compatability issues. Half the tracks I want to play on it come up with Non-Supported and even after processing through both Reaper and Lame XP all too often I still can't get the MP3 to play.

Getting bored now.

If it also has a tuner and a metronome then that's nice but I don't actually need those functions. If it's an app for my android phone then I can live with it but quite frankly I'd prefer a separate piece of kit.

What I really want is a Tascam GB-10 designed in 2024 but that doesn't seem to exist.

Any suggestions?

I use AnyTune (pro) on my Android and it does much of what you list.

https://www.anytune.app/

Sam x

5 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

I use AnyTune (pro) on my Android and it does much of what you list.

https://www.anytune.app/

Sam x

Thanks Sam. Reviews are ... erm ... mixed (to put it politely) but it's a freebie so what have I got to lose? 

Installed on my phone and I'll give it a whirl.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chrisba said:

This looks useful, but I've yet to use it in anger...

https://www.looptube.xyz/

Hmmmmmm ... it's PC-based rather than Android or stand-alone, and it also appears to be embedded with YouTube who are currently making all sorts of threats in my general direction for my failure to start paying for something that has been free for as long as I've been using it.

8 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Any suggestions?

Tascam GB-10. If you create the audio tracks as either MP3, 32-320kbps, 44.1kHz or WAV, 16/24 bit, 44.1kHz, they'll play. I have no problem with mine.

Edit to add: I use Audacity to adjust sample rates etc, and sometimes to adjust pitch at source so I can also use the track with Nux Mighty Plug or Boss Katana:Go.

Edited by tauzero
Audaciousness

On 10/03/2022 at 13:46, MilkyBarKid said:

I have 5 pieces of tascam equipment including a BT10 and a GB10.  All apart from one have failed. The one that hasn't failed doesn't get used.  The headphone and input sockets are the main culprit - tascam won't repair them.  Not a happy bunny. No more tascam equipment for me!.

I have a 12 year old GB10 that's been used almost daily since I bought it and which has been unceremoniously bundled into my hand luggage during travels in literally dozens of countries, and a 26 year old Tascam DAT deck that has led a less travelled life in its rack at home.

Both still work perfectly, and on that basis I'd buy Tascam again.  Indeed, it makes me wonder what you're doing that I'm not (or vice versa.)

It shows how easily our perceptions are coloured by personal experience.