Why become a member? ×

5 string lined fretless

sshorepunk

A while back I bought an Ibanez musician fretless off of this forum, it was intended to see of a return to playing fretless was the right thing to do, and yes it is, really enjoying playing it!

So, now I feel it is time to find another fretless, I play 4 and 5 string and would prefer to have my fretless with 5 strings, I also prefer lines, the more subtle the better (don't really want to get into an unlined vs lined thing, lines is what I want, end of!)
But there seems to be a "void" when it comes to 5 string lined fretless basses, I would have plenty of options with 4 strings, but not 5, unless I spent big $$
There are a few out there, such as the Gary Willis bass, but choice is limited.

I'm not in a rush here and I have a few options, buy a 5 string with a fret board made of a suitable material and have it defretted or buy a fretted bass and have a new lined fretboard fitted, this gives me more options, but I guess will cost more. Not sure how much this sort of work costs, so any pointers would be good
I'm fairly open to the type of bass here, probably would avoid warwicks with anything other than an ebony board, but thats it

Cheers

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='460549' date='Apr 12 2009, 01:52 PM']5 string Pentabuzz is the holy grail in this particular quest!

T[/quote]

Oh you mean one of these? :)

[url="http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pedulla.jpg"][/url]

Just picked her up yesterday.

Incidently i traded out a gary willis and a Status for this bass. I really recommend the Gary Willis, Probably the best lined 5ver your gonna find before it gets into the realms of silly money.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='460404' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:26 AM']Not sure how much this sort of work costs, so any pointers would be good[/quote]

I'm doing one very soon and It will cost me £90 to have a 5-string defretted, holes filled with thin veneer and a layer of epoxy over the fretboard. The bass is Ibanez SR305

Jack

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='460600' date='Apr 12 2009, 03:06 PM']Yeah, thats the one! That is nice!! How are you finding it?

I saw the warwick, not really my thing. would consider an ebony necked warwick if one was to show up!

Tony[/quote]

Yeah its pretty damn nice! I need a slightly heavier gauge B string as the light ass set i have in there rattles around in the nut a bit. (Currently fitted with 110-90-70-50-30)
I loves it :) band practice next week will be interesting!