Why become a member? ×

Truss rod having no effect.

MacDaddy

Have to ask the "usual questions" first ....

What kind of bass is it ?

If you want to add releif (to make the neck bow slightly) then you need to loosen the truss rod. Are you saying that the nut is very loose and yet there is still no relief ?

Have you left the bass overnight to allow it to settle after adjusting the rod ?

Sometimes when adding relief it's necessary to apply a little pressure (carefully) to the neck. This would be done by holding the neck at the body join then pushing the top of the neck a couple of times - firmly, but not forcefully - just to loosen anything that was stuck.

[quote name='BOD2' post='460668' date='Apr 12 2009, 05:40 PM']Have to ask the "usual questions" first ....[/quote]

no worries :rolleyes:

[quote name='BOD2' post='460668' date='Apr 12 2009, 05:40 PM']What kind of bass is it ?[/quote]

Iceni Zoot. But, the neck has in the past had a new fret board (nice job, according to Mike Walsh of Iceni) and has had LED's removed. Both of these were before my time.

[quote name='BOD2' post='460668' date='Apr 12 2009, 05:40 PM']If you want to add releif (to make the neck bow slightly) then you need to loosen the truss rod. Are you saying that the nut is very loose and yet there is still no relief ?[/quote]

before rehearsal earlier I gave a quarter turn to loosen - no effect. I gave probably 2 full turns before giving up. The truss rod is quite loose - it moves side to side - but doesn't turn without the key.

[quote name='BOD2' post='460668' date='Apr 12 2009, 05:40 PM']Have you left the bass overnight to allow it to settle after adjusting the rod ?

Sometimes when adding relief it's necessary to apply a little pressure (carefully) to the neck. This would be done by holding the neck at the body join then pushing the top of the neck a couple of times - firmly, but not forcefully - just to loosen anything that was stuck.[/quote]

haven't left it overnight, but I did try putting pressure on the neck - not the way you suggest though, I'll go do that now.

ok done it, still no joy. :)

Edited by MacDaddy