Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

10 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

I might give this a try next Friday when we gig. I can hook up the internal 12" speaker in my MB combo plus the NY and see how it goes. 

You worded that correctly but it still gives me the heebie jeebies. Make sure the combo amp is disconnected from everything when doing that!

Also, don't have the Elf plugged in until the other connections are made. The Elf amp is bridged mono so a momentary speaker ground short also shorts the amp. Unplug the Elf power first when packing down.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

You worded that correctly but it still gives me the heebie jeebies. Make sure the combo amp is disconnected from everything when doing that!

Also, don't have the Elf plugged in until the other connections are made. The Elf amp is bridged mono so a momentary speaker ground short also shorts the amp. Unplug the Elf power first when packing down.

Yeah, I know what I'm doing but always happy to have a gentle reminder. If you see a blown MB combo or Elf for sale next week you'll know I know less than I think 😄

• Haha 1

I just got hold of a 2x8 Elf cab off here. 

I'm in need of a small "walk-in rig" for a new and potentially regular gig in Lancaster. It looks like we'll be playing the same venue every two weeks on a Thursday night. It's a relatively small pub, and I really don't want to take my BF 3x10 + GK 400RB rig in every time. So as I had no other cab option than the BF 3x10 currently I thought it time to pick up another little cab.

I tried it initially with the Elf amp, sounds good, but being a small 8 ohm cab, the Elf gives up a little early. (The Elf amp through the BF 3x10 is really useable however). I then tried it with a Tecamp Puma 900, and it really handles it. This little cab can really take some pushing, and it held together exceptionally well.

Rob

• Like 1

On 22/09/2024 at 12:25, Merton said:

I’ve used an Elf with a Two10 on many occasions and it’s superb. It can hold its own with a band but would want PA support if you get loud :)

That’s why I’m upgrading to the Monaco and eich 1000 amp…. 10 days away before the eich debuts, but the Monaco is awesome over my pair of 110s…..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

You cannot be serious.

Half the elves on the planet probably drive 8 ohm cabs in bands.

When I used mine for half a set when my MB overheated it was into a 8 ohm 1x12. It was running hard but still loud enough - we are a reasonably loud band and I've never, ever been accused of being a quiet bass player!

2 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

When I used mine for half a set when my MB overheated it was into a 8 ohm 1x12. It was running hard but still loud enough - we are a reasonably loud band and I've never, ever been accused of being a quiet bass player!

Exactly. One man's reasonably loud band is another's quiet band. Things is, the folks who play in what we would term stupid loud bands are unable to fathom how the rest of the world operates.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Not necessarily, if your cabinet is high sensitivity and you have reasonable expectations. 

I have a high sensitivity (103db) cab but it is 4R. I've gigged it with the Elf in a big pub with vocal only PA and I had it only ticking over. It's loud enough to be my backup amp... partly because the very good automatic compression as you raise the gain gives the same effect as having lots of headroom. Means the average volume can be as loud as a significantly more powerful amp.

• Like 1

I got asked last night to do a last minute gig tonight, house bass player at a funk club. It's a small pub back room which I have played before. I reckon the Elf and 2x8 will be fine, so that's what I'm taking. There is a full kit, and the drummer tonight isn't shy, plus Hammond and Leslie, so it will be a good test of it's abilities.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Rob

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I have a high sensitivity (103db) cab but it is 4R. I've gigged it with the Elf in a big pub with vocal only PA and I had it only ticking over. It's loud enough to be my backup amp... partly because the very good automatic compression as you raise the gain gives the same effect as having lots of headroom. Means the average volume can be as loud as a significantly more powerful amp.

Could you explain what you mean by the comment about compression having the same effect as lots of headroom please? I don’t usually use compression live but there is something about the way the Elf adds in compression that I like. Ta. 

8 minutes ago, SuperSeagull said:

Could you explain what you mean by the comment about compression having the same effect as lots of headroom please? I don’t usually use compression live but there is something about the way the Elf adds in compression that I like. Ta. 

For sake of argument, imaging I have a 500W amp and a 250W amp side by side with a 250W Elf through identical cabs. I initially play at the same low volume through all three amps.

To start with, all three amps sound fine, but I increase the volume (let's assume the gain is low enough not to overdrive). As I get louder I reach a point where the output stage of the 250W amp starts to distort, probably unpleasantly, if it's solid state). The 500W amp has extra 'headroom' so it still sounds fine. The Elf compresses the signal so it still sounds fine, but isn't as loud. To get the uncompressed amp to sound good all the time, it would have to be turned down.

As we mostly play at reasonable volume with a few loud passages for emphasis, the Elf can 'keep up' with a more powerful amp MOST of the time, but is a bit less loud during the loudest passages. In this scenario, the effect of the Elf's compression is being used more like a limiter than a compressor, but the effect is more gradual rather than a 'brick wall' so it sounds better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

For sake of argument, imaging I have a 500W amp and a 250W amp side by side with a 250W Elf through identical cabs. I initially play at the same low volume through all three amps.

To start with, all three amps sound fine, but I increase the volume (let's assume the gain is low enough not to overdrive). As I get louder I reach a point where the output stage of the 250W amp starts to distort, probably unpleasantly, if it's solid state). The 500W amp has extra 'headroom' so it still sounds fine. The Elf compresses the signal so it still sounds fine, but isn't as loud. To get the uncompressed amp to sound good all the time, it would have to be turned down.

As we mostly play at reasonable volume with a few loud passages for emphasis, the Elf can 'keep up' with a more powerful amp MOST of the time, but is a bit less loud during the loudest passages. In this scenario, the effect of the Elf's compression is being used more like a limiter than a compressor, but the effect is more gradual rather than a 'brick wall' so it sounds better.

And don't forget by keeping the gain low this effect is minimised. So it's a variable effect. I'm out right now with my Elf and the compression isn't kicking in at all, but the master is reasonably high. The compressed sound comes in more and more as the gain is pushed. You can use it or not. Big pub, loud drummer and a guitarist 

• Like 2

So, back home from my gig. I took the Elf and the Elf 2x8. No pedals, straight in with my Jazz bass. I walked in in one trip, bass in a gig bag over the shoulder, amp and cables etc in the pocket, Elf cab in one hand.

All tone controls at noon, master on full, gain was around 10 or 11 o'clock. It was plenty, the band was loud, the drummer hit hard, there was a full sized Leslie cabinet on the hammond, the guitarist had a Marshall combo and we had two saxes. I was mightily impressed with it, and everyone said it was enough. Bear in mind, it was a small room, but I was still surprised how well it worked. I must admit to having a backup amp in the boot of the car, but I never felt the need to get it at half time.

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thanks. Very clear. 

On 22/09/2024 at 12:25, Merton said:

I’ve used an Elf with a Two10 on many occasions and it’s superb. It can hold its own with a band but would want PA support if you get loud :)

This is a setup that I've used a few times and have had no issues with it when I'm not trying to push it too hard, sounds superb with my V7 through it.

• Like 1