Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

I have always looked at the 1% THD +N figure as the gold standard for amplifiers. Many hifi amps have noise figures many times better but if you can hear 1% on a bass at a gig then you are a better human than I an Gunga Din. I think Mesa via @agedhorse have IP on how the squeeze the extra power from ICEPower but I will let @agedhorse explain what he can and if he wants. I have been told by someone whose knowledge is greater than mine that the power ratings of the Mesa's are genuine.

I suppose in reality a THD spec is only a sales differentiator at the end of the day for some folks. I would never claim I could tell the difference between 1% or 5% THD, or 700 and 800 watts. I'm more curious why some amp makers quote one and some don't. And why Ice Power ratings are different from the finished products they go into especially when they are higher. I only mentioned Mesa as an example where there isn't a figure on thier website. It might be in the user guide though.

When I had my TE Elf its plan was the smallest back up amp to my all valve head in case of valve failure mid gig.

Tried it with the band ( loud ) and it was awesome but could it run like that for 3hrs I’m not sure as never had to.

Eventually sold it as I found no need for it since I sold off my V4B 

The Eich T900 is bigger and it sounds awesome and is as light as I would care for and a better size for good cooling fans etc 

Too light they are easily pulled off a cab etc and they look kinda puny on a big cab !! 

It was a shame the Elf wasn’t bigger and had a Speakon connector so as a spare it would quickly be swopped over mid gig without changing to a Speakon / Jack lead 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

Curious thought, it says 1100w at 4 ohms in the manual, but the website says:

Features

1200 bone-rattling watts of true RMS power!

I've no idea whether Peavey use a readily available class D module in the TE1200 but it sort of reinforces my suggestion that watts appear to be going missing between engineering and sales departments ☺️ The Elf definetly quotes 200 watts so thats something. I'm not knocking any particular amp brand or model of amp. There will be companies that develop their own in house technologies, and these are the companies that can use their own more detailed specs to market their products more convincingly imho.
🙂

3 hours ago, DGBass said:

Mesa as an example don't quote a THD figure for the Subway D800 amps that I can find on their sales specs.

Actually they do, if you dig around in the support docs section. Just wanted to clarify that they do provide specs. Well done Mesa! It states 800 watts rms @ 4 ohms, 10% THD (includes preamp O/D THD) I assume that refers to the pre-amp O/D THD being inclusive in how they measure that spec?

On 14/09/2024 at 07:27, DGBass said:

I suppose in reality a THD spec is only a sales differentiator at the end of the day for some folks. I would never claim I could tell the difference between 1% or 5% THD, or 700 and 800 watts. I'm more curious why some amp makers quote one and some don't. And why Ice Power ratings are different from the finished products they go into especially when they are higher. I only mentioned Mesa as an example where there isn't a figure on thier website. It might be in the user guide though.

The detailed specs are located in the back of each owner’s manual.

We specify the rated power at THD less that 10% because much of the harmonics are added in the preamp and power amp tube emulation circuits in addition to the tube preamps themselves (WD and TT) when driven hard.

It’s similar in concept to say the SVT which uses 5% THD, or the Darkglass amps that use ~20% THD (presumably because their drive circuits are the basis of their fundamental tone). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, agedhorse said:

We specify the rated power at THD less that 10% because much of the harmonics are added in the preamp and power amp tube emulation circuits in addition to the tube preamps themselves (WD and TT) when driven hard.

Presumably that means that from the returns or aux inputs you get a much lower THD figure, more in line with the power module's base specs?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Presumably that means that from the returns or aux inputs you get a much lower THD figure, more in line with the power module's base specs?

Yes, lower THD without the preamp, the output stage emulation algorithms are different than the gain stage algorithms. It also depends on the amp model, for example the TT-800 uses different algorithms than say the D-800 or 800+. 

It also depends on how hard the gain stage(s) and the output are driven, the character and distortion harmonics change with both level and frequency.

• Like 1