Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

3 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Hi all, I'm in your gang now! 😁

I just need a jack to XLR. Any recommendations?

2 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

19 minutes ago, msb said:

I’ve just used adaptors with 1/4 in speaker cables

IMG_0317.webp

That is a Speakon, not XLR, right?

A few years back I went to a (now defunct) Maplins and asked if they had any Speakon connectors: the assistant gave me a quizzical look told me he could show me where the "speaker" cables were and took me across, where I picked a Speakon off the display.

7 minutes ago, prowla said:

That is a Speakon, not XLR, right?

A few years back I went to a (now defunct) Maplins and asked if they had any Speakon connectors: the assistant gave me a quizzical look told me he could show me where the "speaker" cables were and took me across, where I picked a Speakon off the display.

Which is what I meant. Original post edited admitting I'm a numpty 😖

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

The fan is surprisingly loud. Can't imagine it's an issue at a gig though.

Sounds great 😸 

The fan is quite loud yes. We've had discussions on here about it. Somewhere, maybe in this thread, I posted pics of the fan. I'm sure quieter replacements could be found, but I only use mine for playing out and never at home. When playing out, it's never an issue.

Rob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

The fan is quite loud yes. We've had discussions on here about it. Somewhere, maybe in this thread, I posted pics of the fan. I'm sure quieter replacements could be found, but I only use mine for playing out and never at home. When playing out, it's never an issue.

Rob

I fear a quieter fan may be is because it doesn't shift enough air.

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I fear a quieter fan may be is because it doesn't shift enough air.

I did some research on this a few years ago and the so-called quiet fans all run at reduced voltage and therefore run slower, moving less air (something us bassists should resist). Lower airflow means less cooling effect. I am  sure @agedhorse can shine more light on this but in general, higher fan speed means more noise, that is air-turbulence noise. The other noise is from vibration which, if I am not mistaken, comes from unbalanced fan blades. This can be amplified by the design of the enclosure and, as an enclosure redesign is out of the question, the only answer is isolation. That is using some sort of shock absorbing mount rather than screws.

With the Elf, I rather suspect that the room inside is limited so the scope for change will be small.

14 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I did some research on this a few years ago and the so-called quiet fans all run at reduced voltage and therefore run slower, moving less air (something us bassists should resist). Lower airflow means less cooling effect. I am  sure @agedhorse can shine more light on this but in general, higher fan speed means more noise, that is air-turbulence noise. The other noise is from vibration which, if I am not mistaken, comes from unbalanced fan blades. This can be amplified by the design of the enclosure and, as an enclosure redesign is out of the question, the only answer is isolation. That is using some sort of shock absorbing mount rather than screws.

With the Elf, I rather suspect that the room inside is limited so the scope for change will be small.

It'd be worth looking at Noctua, they may make something small enough, though the Elf's are truly tiny, so it may just be the case that no-one is making quality fans that small. Noctua primarily have a reputation, amongst PC enthusiasts at least, for very quiet and very effective cooling solutions for PC's and servers, so I'd think they'd be the best bet, though enterprise focused companies may have a better product at that size. 

A very simple solution to intrusive fan noise at home is put the amp in a box with the knobs poking through.

Peace of mind air gaps so no chance of heat building up inside.

Bigger brains than mine convinced me the through panel conduction radiation of a sealed box is enough to keep the inside temperature rise unbelievably small.

As you please.