Why become a member? ×

Repairing a BassLines active pickup

Hey chaps/chapettes

Soooooooo.....

Got an active P/J Seymour Duncan APJ-1 pickup set, and the bridge position Jazz pickup doesnt work properly. I brought the set years ago and only got round to installing the J pup last monday - and it didnt work. I assume that the pup is made with two coils, one for the E and A strings, the other for the D and G. The D/G side doesn't work at all. I've emailed seymour duncan, but as of yet no reply. I'm going to email them again in a bit.

I have brought another set of these pups from a basschatter, unused for a good price and they should be arriving shortly. So I'll end up with a spare P pup, but I can use that for my rockbass project ive started...

So im thinking, if i dont get a replacement/repair from s/duncan, I might have a go at repairing the pickup....

Now then. This might be a very stupid idea. its completely enclosed in resin and i have NO idea what it will look like inside. i assume that the pre amp is tagged on underneath the colis and would be just underneath the resin. does anyone have any idea how i could safely(ish) get the pup to bits?

im good with fiddly stuff and im not a novice when it comes to electronics - have build preamps and such in the past.

any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

cheers
karl

if it was me (and i'm usually pretty mechanically inclined and good at repairs) i would wait until i heard back from SD before doing anything. As EBS_freak says, removing the epoxy will probably write off the pickup entirely, but SD may have another solution.

[quote name='escholl' post='461935' date='Apr 14 2009, 11:32 AM']if it was me (and i'm usually pretty mechanically inclined and good at repairs) i would wait until i heard back from SD before doing anything. As EBS_freak says, removing the epoxy will probably write off the pickup entirely, but SD may have another solution.[/quote]

I'm guessing it's not worth SD's time to repair it... they'll probably tell you just to replace it if it's not a warranty job.

Epoxy is great for it's anti-noise properties (and keeping construction techniques secret) but it's a bugger should you ever need to do any repairs!

i guess i was being a bit impatient, but also eger to have a go! :)
SD emailed me back today and they are going to check the pickup out. only hear this after ive brought anotherP/J set of a basschatter though! oh well, you can never have too many pickups i guess.
was kind of looking forward to ripping it open though :rolleyes: