Why become a member? ×

Neural Quad Cortex

redd

14 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

Interesting, how have you got a decent Cali76 replication?

There is a Cali76 based model that seems to work pretty well to me?

31 minutes ago, Kev said:

There is a Cali76 based model that seems to work pretty well to me?

The Cali76 capture sounds great, I just need to pair it with an external compressor to get the full sound

1 hour ago, Killerfridge said:

The Cali76 capture sounds great, I just need to pair it with an external compressor to get the full sound

A capture?  The Cali 76 is quite transparent, so I don't think a capture of it would really work well at all.

I was referring to the full compressor model based on the Cali76, can't remember what it's called.

I think there is definitely some colour added by Cali. Perhaps a capture in combination with the internal compressors would be close enough to pass. I noticed some Boss OC2 captures, I'm guessing people do similar and add the capture along with a built-in octaver to get some flavour in there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

I think there is definitely some colour added by Cali. Perhaps a capture in combination with the internal compressors would be close enough to pass. I noticed some Boss OC2 captures, I'm guessing people do similar and add the capture along with a built-in octaver to get some flavour in there. 

I guess I mean the compressor model that's based on a Cali will already have the cali colour, if there is any, so I don't know what a capture would be adding really.  Do you have a Cali, did I see? Would be interested in how you find they compare!

Yeah the Boss OC-2 capture works well enough to improve the octaver on the QC.  It's a great pitch shifter but not great at getting that synthy octave tone, but the capture at least makes it quite dubby.

I have an OC-2 on the board though, and it doesn't really compare 🙂

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I guess I mean the compressor model that's based on a Cali will already have the cali colour, if there is any, so I don't know what a capture would be adding really.  Do you have a Cali, did I see? Would be interested in how you find they compare!

Yeah the Boss OC-2 capture works well enough to improve the octaver on the QC.  It's a great pitch shifter but not great at getting that synthy octave tone, but the capture at least makes it quite dubby.

I have an OC-2 on the board, though, and it doesn't really compare 🙂

I certainly wouldn't describe Cali as transparent, certainly not compared to the MXR m87, etc. It's not as much colour as the Lusithand Alma IMO but there's a definte flavour.

I might try comparing the OC2 capture and Octaver with my OC5!

9 hours ago, Kev said:

A capture?  The Cali 76 is quite transparent, so I don't think a capture of it would really work well at all.

I was referring to the full compressor model based on the Cali76, can't remember what it's called.

I assume you mean the Legendary87, which is based on a Urei 1176 (which is also what the Cali76 is based on), but it's attack times are about twice as fast as a Cali76, and as MrDinsdale mentioned, the Cali76 adds a fair bit of colour/saturation to the sound that the Legendary87 doesn't really replicate.

53 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

I assume you mean the Legendary87, which is based on a Urei 1176 (which is also what the Cali76 is based on), but it's attack times are about twice as fast as a Cali76, and as MrDinsdale mentioned, the Cali76 adds a fair bit of colour/saturation to the sound that the Legendary87 doesn't really replicate.

Yeah that's the one, I believe I have mine set up to the equivalent of a Cali76 set to the slowest attack time and fastest release, doesn't sound far away from the Cali 76's i've had from memory, but then again from memory I don't remember a huge amount of colour either! (I've had a big box tx, regular big box and a compact).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex-updates/quad-cortex-owners-were-giving-away-eur5m-of-free-plugins

So the QC is finally able to support plugins and Neural is giving away a free plugin to users.

Does anyone have any experience with Neural Plugins? (I have zero) Just wondered which one I should aim for. The two contenders seem to be the Parallel X and the dark glass suite. 

(I'll probably end up getting both anyways 🤦🏻‍♀️).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redd said:

https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex-updates/quad-cortex-owners-were-giving-away-eur5m-of-free-plugins

So the QC is finally able to support plugins and Neural is giving away a free plugin to users.

Does anyone have any experience with Neural Plugins? (I have zero) Just wondered which one I should aim for. The two contenders seem to be the Parallel X and the dark glass suite. 

(I'll probably end up getting both anyways 🤦🏻‍♀️).

Parallax is great if you like the multiband distortion sound (i.e. Djent), but it feels like the wrong tool for most other things. Not that you can't make it sound good, just it feels like you aren't using it for what it's supposed to be used for.

The DG suite is essentially the VMT Ultra and the b7k Ultra with a cab SIM. Both sound really good, and I think it's a bit more versatile.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with the Darkglass suite.  Two reasons

A) It's already pretty much covered with the models already on the QC

B) I reckon it will be ages before that one is upgrade to X and made QC compatible, if it ever is!

Parallax is the way.  Though I already have that, so I reckon I'm going to go Rabea for that Overlord synth engine 😍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kev said:

I wouldn't bother with the Darkglass suite.  Two reasons

A) It's already pretty much covered with the models already on the QC

B) I reckon it will be ages before that one is upgrade to X and made QC compatible, if it ever is!

Parallax is the way.  Though I already have that, so I reckon I'm going to go Rabea for that Overlord synth engine 😍

Ooo, synth engine? Tell me more!

I have Nolly, and I will probably go for Rabea or Asato for my freebie. 

I've never been bothered about the DG drives other than the A/O stuff. I'll be honest. The more I play with clean blend drives like the ground & pound, the more I think it's just not for me. I prefer a less processed sound, I think.

If they did add the Alpha Omicron to the DG suite, I'd be more open to it, though!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

I have Nolly, and I will probably go for Rabea or Asato for my freebie. 

I've never been bothered about the DG drives other than the A/O stuff. I'll be honest. The more I play with clean blend drives like the ground & pound, the more I think it's just not for me. I prefer a less processed sound, I think.

If they did add the Alpha Omicron to the DG suite, I'd be more open to it, though!

What's the Nolly doing for bass?  Notice that's just been X'd today so won't be far off the QC!

1 hour ago, Kev said:

What's the Nolly doing for bass?  Notice that's just been X'd today so won't be far off the QC!

Never tried it for bass although a few folks have said the fx are handy for bass too. 

3.0.0 is out, and so far, I'm super impressed. Grabbed the Gojira plugin, and it sounds awesome. The approach to plugins is pretty great. Having the different fx available to drop into the signal path how you want is excellent. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to update Day 1! Next gig isn't til August bank holiday though so I suppose i'm probably safe to.

How is transpose, notable improvement on the pitch shifter?  And sidechaining work well, particularly with the Adaptive Gate (ala Zuul)?

• Like 1

Just updated it, took a little while. Looking forward to trying the new blends with the guitar overdrives. I wonder how these will work the captures and also phasing issues.

I have the Cory Wong, parralax and darkglass plugins, so hopefully they will end up being compatible with the QC.

The Darkglass plugin sound to my ears much better than any of the captures or the modelled versions.. the VMT and B3K have horrible tails to the drive sound that I've never known to happen with the plugin or with the real life analog devices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, attackbass said:

Just updated it, took a little while. Looking forward to trying the new blends with the guitar overdrives. I wonder how these will work the captures and also phasing issues.

I have the Cory Wong, parralax and darkglass plugins, so hopefully they will end up being compatible with the QC.

The Darkglass plugin sound to my ears much better than any of the captures or the modelled versions.. the VMT and B3K have horrible tails to the drive sound that I've never known to happen with the plugin or with the real life analog devices.

Surprised to hear that about the Darkglass plugin being better.  My captures of the Alpha Omega and X Ultra are absolutely indistinguishable from the real thing, but I've never tried to capture a B*K or a Vintage.  It will come to QC but I suspect it will be last on the list.  Parallax will be very soon as it's already an X version, Cory Wong won't be too far off.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Surprised to hear that about the Darkglass plugin being better.  My captures of the Alpha Omega and X Ultra are absolutely indistinguishable from the real thing, but I've never tried to capture a B*K or a Vintage.  It will come to QC but I suspect it will be last on the list.  Parallax will be very soon as it's already an X version, Cory Wong won't be too far off.

To be fair I haven't bothered with the user created ones. I think I prefer to jave the modelled versions than captures so I can adjust as needed. 

• 3 weeks later...