Why become a member? ×

Value of Fender 1970 Pbass

exmando

After having an extended loan of my mate's 1970 P-Bass I now have the opportunity to buy it... it's been refinished and has had some mods ( xlr on front, hipshot tuner) - plays brilliantly and it is an excellent bass - but I have absolutely no idea of value - any advice?

[quote name='exmando' post='462203' date='Apr 14 2009, 03:15 PM']After having an extended loan of my mate's 1970 P-Bass I now have the opportunity to buy it... it's been refinished and has had some mods ( xlr on front, hipshot tuner) - plays brilliantly and it is an excellent bass - but I have absolutely no idea of value - any advice?[/quote]

In the 'modified' state, less than you'd expect, unless the mods are reversible. Others would know better than me, but, depending on mods, quality of re-finish, maybe £500-1000. Well, that's what I might pay.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='462205' date='Apr 14 2009, 03:18 PM']In the 'modified' state, less than you'd expect, unless the mods are reversible. Others would know better than me, but, depending on mods, quality of re-finish, maybe £500-1000. Well, that's what I might pay.[/quote]

+1
...that sort of price range.
A re-finish (no matter how well done) will reduce the value of a vintage guitar by half. That's the law of the vintage guitar jungle.
And every further mod (or non-original part) will reduce the value further unless they are easily reversible & leave no permanent marks/damage.

[quote name='exmando' post='463319' date='Apr 15 2009, 07:11 PM']Good advice - I had previously scanned the for sale section but somehow managed to totally miss the many 70's basses that are in there :rolleyes:
We have agreed a price and all is well[/quote]

Good news - you can't beat a nice early 70' Precision...
:)