Why become a member? ×

Removing Paint That's Been Sprayed On Top Of Original Finish.

Hi all,

Anyone know any good ways to remove a layer of paint that's been sprayed on top of the original finish of an Epiphone Dot 335? 

I might just sell it as is due to probably not having the time, but if there's a cunning way to remove this 're-spray' from the original finish underneath then I might give it a go!

It was tobacco burst and now has a bit of a shoddy 'Pelham Blue' type finish on top.

20220605_200823.thumb.jpg.1e7dc0001847c1858ccac1b0d5b9a44d.jpg

It depends what type of paint was used for the over spray. Odds on, if it was a DIY job, it was a rattle can from a car accessory shop, which probably means cellulose. That can be hard to remove without damaging the original finish underneath. I'd take it to a repairer for an opinion if it was my instrument. It would be easy to make it worse. 

• Like 1

I think my suspicions of it being more trouble than it's worth to strip the paint off are looking to be correct. I'll probably just leave it as is. It's still a great player, and looks good from a distance, so it could be worse! Cheers for the advice chaps. 👍 

Only the most hopeless of amateurs would respray a guitar without first keying up the original finish, if not removing it completely. 

Is it worth trying to remove the geen/blue paint in the hope that a Mr. H. Amateur has left a lovely, glossy, original finish underneath?

I'd guess not. 

If you're not prepared to refinish the guitar, then I'd leave well alone. 

Just my 2p.

• Like 1