Why become a member? ×

Compact mixing desks - what are you using?

Al Krow

10 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

The CQ20 is the A&H mixer you should have looked at. The XR18 is cheaper and is expandable and could be all you need. The thing that put me off the Behringers is the WiFi. It is truly unusable, as is that of the Soundcraft UI series without an external router (I have owned one of each). The CQ18/20  are much more robust.

I wasn’t lying in my post above about using the built in WiFi 🤔

It has its uses in my experience. 

Edited by dave_bass5

9 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

The CQ20 is the A&H mixer you should have looked at. The XR18 is cheaper and is expandable and could be all you need. The thing that put me off the Behringers is the WiFi. It is truly unusable, as is that of the Soundcraft UI series without an external router (I have owned one of each). The CQ18/20  are much more robust.

The fact that it's truly unusable hasn't stopped me using it a few times. I do normally use an external router. I did get caught out moving from an XR12 to an XR18 as there's a USB socket that can be used to power the router on the XR12 which isn't there on the XR18.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ah, forget the XR18 is called the X-Air. Not aware of a more basic model though, other than those with less channels. The X18 is the one with the tablet feature. Not sure what tablet will work with it these days.

The X18 (which is what I have) is functionaly identical to the XR18 with a few connector differences (and when i bought it, quite a sizeable price difference). It just has a tray on the front that is presumably meant to hold a tablet but never actually did if you wanted to plug it in. The differences that the X18 has vs XR18 are that the 17-18 sockets are RCA vs Jack, the 6 aux outputs are TRS instead of XLR, and the X18 aerial is internal instead of sticking out. One was designed for the desk, and one for the floor.

There was never an X/XR without a wifi

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The differences that the X18 has vs XR18 are that the 17-18 sockets are RCA vs Jack, the 6 aux outputs are TRS instead of XLR

The CQ18 has a lot of TRS outputs, one other reason went for the CQ20.

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The X18 (which is what I have) is functionaly identical to the XR18 with a few connector differences (and when i bought it, quite a sizeable price difference). It just has a tray on the front that is presumably meant to hold a tablet but never actually did if you wanted to plug it in. The differences that the X18 has vs XR18 are that the 17-18 sockets are RCA vs Jack, the 6 aux outputs are TRS instead of XLR, and the X18 aerial is internal instead of sticking out. One was designed for the desk, and one for the floor.

There was never an X/XR without a wifi

Yeah, i looked it up. I remember thinking at the time it came out it was a cool idea, but when looking for a new mixer i couldn’t  figure out how it would work with modern day iPads as they have changed size and shape, not to mention connectivity over the years. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, i looked it up. I remember thinking at the time it camos out it was a cool idea, but when looking for a new mixer i couldn’t  figure out how it would work with modern day iPads as they have changed size and shape, not to mention connectivity over the years. 

Well, an iPad mini fits in the front, as do I am sure, lots of android things too (like the fire), if you wanted to use it for that. If not, it is a great place to put your keys so you remember where you put them.

• Haha 2

On 17/10/2024 at 19:51, Al Krow said:

Seems that my thinking that these could come in very handy wasn't a bad shout, if you've taken a liking to that feature? Together with the router (and B stock price!) persuaded me to go for the CQ18T rather than its baby brother. It seems solidly built, but whether it's as tank like as the CQ20 only time will tell...

So, whens the CQ18-T's first outing?  We expect a "warts an' all" write-up!   Can hardly wait!  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

So, whens the CQ18-T's first outing?  We expect a "warts an' all" write-up!   Can hardly wait!  

Sadly its arrival is too soon for a function gig on Wed and then I've got a bit of annual leave coming up when I won't be gigging, so we will need to be sticking to the old analogue desk for a little while yet. You may have a bit more immediate joy from the chaps over on @warwickhunt's CQ desk thread 😊

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1