Why become a member? ×

If a bass-picker could, would and should pick a pick, which pick would a bass-picker then pick?

Baloney Balderdash

On 17/06/2024 at 15:34, Little Dragon said:

Moved from the Flex triangles to Clayton triangles in 1mm. Feel very, very similar but the Claytons are sharper at the corners .

Which Claytons? Do you mean the rounded triangles or the ones actually listed as 'Sharp' with the particularly angry looking bird on them? 

I like that they have the slightly unusual size of .80, a good inbetween option to the usual .73 & .88. 

Where did you get them from? Can't see many UK stockists, and my usual place 'Dirty Riffs' on eBay doesn't sell them. 

• 1 month later...
On 15/06/2024 at 15:57, dmc79 said:

Finally gonna try the Dunlop Tortex Flex triangles, ordered a couple each of .60, .73 & .88. 

I used standard Tortex triangles for a while before starting to find them a bit too 'clicky' and moving to Dunlop Nylons. I miss the triangle shape though and believe the Flex is a bit warmer and less clicky, though still not quite full on Nylon in tone. A fun and cheap experiment anyway. . . 

Maybe I didn't miss the triangle shapes as much as I thought - the jury's still out on the Tortex Flex triangles. Since using mainly standard shape Jim Dunlop Nylons, I'm finding the triangles too bulky. I'll probably try the Tortex Flex in normal teardrop shape sometime and that will give me a better idea of how I rate the feel of these. 

I posted in here before that I don't feel the need to go below .88 or above 1mm, but 1mm feels too thick for me these days, and even .88 does at times as well. I'm gonna try a bunch of stuff that I already have and don't yet have, and attempt to find my sweet spot in terms of gauge, material, flex, feel, tone, etc. I know that even picks of a very similar (or even identical) gauge can feel very different, and can feel stiffer or more flexible than another pick that has the same number printed on it, but it should be a fun experiment anyway.

I will most likely go as thin as .60, with .88 being the absolute top end of thickness regardless of the material. Somewhere within these boundaries I'm sure I'll find some picks that feel and sound great and don't make my hands ache. I'll also investigate the gauges that fall inbetween the 'standard' Dunlop sizes of .60, .73 & .88, for example the Dunlop Midi Nylons at .67 & .80, Clayton Black Ravens at .63 & .80, Fender Mediums at .71 and Herco Flex at .75. 

I've never been that keen on thick, rigid, stiff picks, I like to get some flex and the slight compressive effect that this brings, without going so thin that there's no 'authority' in striking the string, if you know what I mean. I like a reasonably good grip surface that doesn't wear off too quickly. 

I'm thinking that my sweet spot is likely to be somewhere between .60 & .80, but I'll see how it goes. It will give me something to do this Autumn / Winter anyway! 

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dmc79 said:

Maybe I didn't miss the triangle shapes as much as I thought - the jury's still out on the Tortex Flex triangles. Since using mainly standard shape Jim Dunlop Nylons, I'm finding the triangles too bulky. I'll probably try the Tortex Flex in normal teardrop shape sometime and that will give me a better idea of how I rate the feel of these. 

I posted in here before that I don't feel the need to go below .88 or above 1mm, but 1mm feels too thick for me these days, and even .88 does at times as well. I'm gonna try a bunch of stuff that I already have and don't yet have, and attempt to find my sweet spot in terms of gauge, material, flex, feel, tone, etc. I know that even picks of a very similar (or even identical) gauge can feel very different, and can feel stiffer or more flexible than another pick that has the same number printed on it, but it should be a fun experiment anyway.

I will most likely go as thin as .60, with .88 being the absolute top end of thickness regardless of the material. Somewhere within these boundaries I'm sure I'll find some picks that feel and sound great and don't make my hands ache. I'll also investigate the gauges that fall inbetween the 'standard' Dunlop sizes of .60, .73 & .88, for example the Dunlop Midi Nylons at .67 & .80, Clayton Black Ravens at .63 & .80, Fender Mediums at .71 and Herco Flex at .75. 

I've never been that keen on thick, rigid, stiff picks, I like to get some flex and the slight compressive effect that this brings, without going so thin that there's no 'authority' in striking the string, if you know what I mean. I like a reasonably good grip surface that doesn't wear off too quickly. 

I'm thinking that my sweet spot is likely to be somewhere between .60 & .80, but I'll see how it goes. It will give me something to do this Autumn / Winter anyway! 

The standard flex picks are great, especially the .60 one, but at the moment I'm preferring the .60 nylon :) also finding 50. Tortex nice to play too 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice comparison video here of the 6 gauges of original Tortex picks. Go straight to 2:18 for the test. Strangely the green .88 is the only one he doesn’t give an opinion on at the end.

Nothing earth-shattering, but good to hear them one after another. He does mention 1mm & 1.14 feeling like hard work, .50 being hard to control as it’s so thin, .60 giving a surprisingly good tone & it seems to be his fave along with the .73. I guess he doesn’t care much for the .88. 

I found some normal size greens I forgot about last week (I’ve used green triangles before but went off them) and have to say I was quite nonplussed about them. I guess the stiffness was a bit too much as I don’t mind the .88 Jim Dunlop Nylons. I’ve got some standard size yellow .73 to try since watching the video, so I guess there’ll be a tad more flex in them than the greens

Edited by dmc79

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I'll pick some up myself soon, but I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on the Dunlop Nylon Midi picks? Regular nylons, tortex, etc, always seem to get mentioned a lot, but I hardly see any mention of the Midi, either here or on TB. 

I mean these ones:

https://www.jimdunlop.com/nylon-midi-pick-67mm/

I plan to give the orange .67 & yellow .80 a go sometime. Their site description says: "Nylon Midi Standard picks provide the classic warmth of nylon with the unique feel and flexibility of "in-between" gauges." I'm just curious as to if they play exactly like a regular JD nylon, or a touch stiffer like the Max Grips. They have a good looking raised grips that's different from both the regular nylon & max grips. If it's the former, the .67 may be too flappy, but if it's the latter then this might be spot on for me. I will get some anyway, but just curious as I hardly ever see the Midi picks mentioned. I'm guessing the main appeal is the inbetween gauges, but just interested in how they feel & play compared to a regular nylon & a max grip nylon. Thanks

Edited by dmc79