Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Intonation

2pods

Not long bought this used SR600E from GG. Really like it, but there are a couple of things puzzling me.

I'll ask about the second one, once I get this sorted out.

First up is the intonation. I thought the strings were a bit stiff the way it was setup, but truss rod looked ok, as did the nut.

I'd decided I wanted lighter strings on this anyway, as I didn't like the feel of the (presumably) 105 - 45s, so bought a set of EB Hyper Slinky (100-80-60-40). Put them on, tuned up stretched them thoroughly etc, came to do the intonation to discover all the strings sounded flat. I think the original strings weren't set properly either, even though their blurb said it was, though every other guitar I've bought from them was.

This is the first time I've ever had to intonate a bass before, though I'm familiar with the principals etc, but I wondered, is it normal for all 4 saddles to be flat with a string gauge of nearly the same?

1100076568_SR600EBodyFront.thumb.jpg.200

Nice... I've an early SR600

Quite possibly. If every string has changed.. Change in Guage, change in tension, change in relief, plus New Strings... Also setting intonation with the guitar flat v upright...

String height action change...

Pressure used to press string (on the fret v behind)... also the tuner used.

My Zoom b1on reads a little different from my Ibanez CU3 clip on...

All can change and influence.

Do they all the new strings now intonate ok?

As you say if you were not sure it was bang on with previous strings.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Sounds reasonable to me - I recently changed all the strings on my Reverend Triad because I didn't like the feel of the stock strings. I must have ended up going up a gauge because all the strings were sharp on the intonation and all saddles had to go back a bit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2pods said:

This will sound daft, but what increments are we talking about for the saddle, quarter of an inch, less. more ? 

I don't know, I don't think about it that way - I've done dozens of setups so I adjusted them until they were set correctly.  If it's any help I don't remember thinking the saddles had to move a noteworthy or unusual amount.  Total guess - maybe somewhere around a quarter inch that last time, but it'll be different for each scenario.

Just adjust them until they're right.  If you run out of adjustment room and the intonation's still not right, then start worrying ;)

• Haha 1

The right position for the saddles is when the octave harmonic is exactly in tune with the note fretted at the 12th. Where the saddles actually end up will depend on the string gauge(s) and construction, the action, and the neck relief. Intonation adjustments are always done last (or in conjunction with setting the action) as all the other changes will affect the position the saddles need to be in for the harmonic and fretted note to be the same. 

Also always check that you are fretting the 12th fret note properly. IME there is a tendency to pull the note sharp when you fret it, so check by bending the string that you have the lowest pitch note and adjust to that.

Also there is no technical reason why the differences between each pair of adjacent saddles should be the same. 

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1