Why become a member? ×

Easy Bass Line to Complex Piece of Music

Tekk Grimm

I'm sure many here are familiar with Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" having been introduced to it through Emerson, Lake and Palmer. There are two basic versions - the original piano suite and that suite orchestrated (by Ravel) for a full orchestra. And of course, our beloved ELP created their own masterpiece from it. Because what I'm going to suggest is playing electric bass along with a recording, the piano version works better than the orchestral version - there is no low frequency clash with the double basses. Not every electric bass guitarist is interested in classical music or playing his or her bass guitar along with a classical recording. If you are someone who's open to doing that, maybe for the first time - I have just the piece. "The Old Castle" is about 5 minutes into "Pictures", occurring after the second promenade. It is very unique in that its bassline remains on G# for the entire piece. You'll pick up the rhythm quickly - it's a slow 6/8 time. The payoff here is the amazing complexity of melody and harmony created over this simple G# pedal note. You can use any recording, but I would highly recommend the 'live' version (34 min) by Alice Sara Ott. She's brilliant. Link - 

If you decide to take this on, you will be playing with one of Alice's left-hand fingers! Because of course, she has to keep that G# going. Again, it may surprise you, as it did me, the incredibly beautiful melodic and harmonic development happening here. Mussorgsky was a genius. Just tap that G# on your bass and sit back and listen to what's going on above you and that root note. 

Edited by Tekk Grimm
Clarification
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1