Why become a member? ×

Japanese SG identification

Raymiles1

We have a bass that has been left to me in the passing of my Brother.

Looks to be a Japanese SG copy (has Gibson headstock sticker but 99% it's not a Gibson).

If anyone has any idea which brand this is I would like to find out.

Looks to be around 70-90s with custom school boy paintings courtesy of my Brother!

Japanese SG bass.jpeg

Bass 2.jpeg

Bass 3.jpeg

Bass 4.jpeg

Bass 5.jpeg

Bass 6.jpeg

Edited by Raymiles1
  • Like 1

Paging @Bassassin

In the mean time some more photos would be useful. Close-ups of the back of the neck/body join showing the neck plate and also the back of the headstock showing the machine heads for starters. And if you are feeling brave, any serial numbers on the undersides of the pickups.

As Bassassin will tell you without the original headstock logo, tracking down the manufacturer and/or importer of this bass will be difficult unless it sports a unique combination of characteristics that help identify it. These instruments would have been sold under a variety of different "brand names" depending on the importer, rather than who made them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Paging @Bassassin

J'arrive!

I've actually got the guitar version of this, which means I've ended up finding out quite a bit of info about these.

These are among the earliest Japanese copies and probably first appeared around 1969-70, and were likely available for three or four years around that time. As was mentioned upthread, they're quite common in the UK branded as Jedson, also sold as Vox, plus numerous other names. Like many old MIJ instruments, plenty were sold unbranded.

1930193169_jedsonscimitarresize.thumb.jpg.e9da432f8129defe5cad48f97c742d24.jpg1877647150_VoxMIJ(UK)ad.thumb.jpg.9555ad5ad6d1177a4c444789b02bd891.jpg

Most names on instruments like these are just brands, not manufacturers, but these also come up labelled Sakai, which was a 60s/early 70s Japanese manufacturer.

Sakai.thumb.jpg.13425b674b8b8ee84c08637e79c438b0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Bassassin said:

J'arrive!

I've actually got the guitar version of this, which means I've ended up finding out quite a bit of info about these.

These are among the earliest Japanese copies and probably first appeared around 1969-70, and were likely available for three or four years around that time. As was mentioned upthread, they're quite common in the UK branded as Jedson, also sold as Vox, plus numerous other names. Like many old MIJ instruments, plenty were sold unbranded.

1930193169_jedsonscimitarresize.thumb.jpg.e9da432f8129defe5cad48f97c742d24.jpg1877647150_VoxMIJ(UK)ad.thumb.jpg.9555ad5ad6d1177a4c444789b02bd891.jpg

Most names on instruments like these are just brands, not manufacturers, but these also come up labelled Sakai, which was a 60s/early 70s Japanese manufacturer.

Sakai.thumb.jpg.13425b674b8b8ee84c08637e79c438b0.jpg

Scimitar is a great name for a bass