Why become a member? ×

String Advice.

Chienmortbb

I currently have Roto Nexus on one bass and Daddario something on the other. The Nexus have been great, have not really changed tone in over a year, the Dadios went flatter than a Jameson flat in no time. I want something in between. Maybe a flat with a coating, but don't see much info on them here.

Any advice appreciated.

On 09/12/2022 at 15:50, Lozz196 said:

Dunno about coated flats but what about nickel Elixirs? They are nice & warm sounding and they last - I get 9 months to a year from Elixirs. 

I had Elixirs on my acoustic and found them to be neither one thing nor the other. Never quite sounded like a new string, but never really faded. I almost bought some but Absolute, my local store was out of stock. To be fair, I love the feel of the D'Addarios, but I would not buy another set, as they also make Fender, that rules them out too.

Edited by Chienmortbb

2 hours ago, naxos10 said:

As you like the Roto Nexus why not try the RS77 flats.

These two are very different beasts. The RS77 are much higher tension than the Nexus strings; if you're going to move to 77s from the nexus then drop a gauge e.g. .105" to .100", that will mitigate the increased stiffness.

• Like 1