Why become a member? ×

Fender Gold-Foil Jazz bass

jd56hawk

11 hours ago, Beedster said:

Jazz Basses have 2xPUPs, end of 🎸

And Precisions have one. But here we have a Jazz bass with a Precision pickguard and single novelty pickup, just as in the past we had a Precision with two Jazz pickups. I'm not sure how this is "something different". I await them coming up with a neck-through headless [1], active, with PJ and piezo bridge pickups, made of carbon fibre.

[1] Hands up whoever knew I was going to say that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tauzero said:

And Precisions have one. But here we have a Jazz bass with a Precision pickguard and single novelty pickup, just as in the past we had a Precision with two Jazz pickups. I'm not sure how this is "something different". I await them coming up with a neck-through headless [1], active, with PJ and piezo bridge pickups, made of carbon fibre.

[1] Hands up whoever knew I was going to say that

And even if they did create what you desire, would you trust them to do it right?

It is "different", by the dictionary definition of the word anyway.  Have they issued a bass with this pickup before?  No, ergo, different.  No-one's saying it's a radical deviation from the programme, or a game changing, epoch defining, historical cornerstone of the development of our instrument...

• Like 1

I considered gold foil pickups (or at least one) in my Mustang but I found them a bit 'brittle' sounding, for want of a better word - they didn't have the bark I was looking for. They look nice enough, and they vary massively. tbh the name is a bit misleading; it doesn't seem to refer to much apart from the fact that there's a gold bit on the top, which can be made of metal, paper, foil.. I gather they use certain magnets in a bar shape which gives them a certain tone. Like  @Doctor J says I think it's more about brand identity... I'm all for trying new pickups and interesting takes on the norm so it's cool with me. I'd prefer a single pickup in a P shaped body, but the J shape needs two IMO!

On 15/01/2023 at 15:07, jd56hawk said:

Something new from Fender.

Available in 2-Color Sunburst, too, but it just doesn't work. Sorry Fender, you should've gone with Shell Pink.

Sweetwater...$1,299.99.

(Yes, a lot of money for an MIM, but...)

03-Fender-Gold-Foil-Jazz-Bass-EB-SNB-MX22281282-9lbs-1oz-Front-scaled.jpg

Not my thing at all, but with the prices of used Mark Hoppus basses on the up, it could be an option to turn it into something similar, replace the BBOT.

• Like 1

Never seen/heard that type of pick-up on a bass before, sounds nice (if very vintage-y) on that Empire Music video, I'm unsure what it would be like in a band situation though - let's see if anyone starts using them! 
Certainly looks pretty cool though. 

Not sure if it would kick a P or (standard) J out of the arsenal but if you wanted something different to those two whilst still feeling familiar in the hands then I don't see why not!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lw. said:

Never seen/heard that type of pick-up on a bass before, sounds nice (if very vintage-y) on that Empire Music video, I'm unsure what it would be like in a band situation though - let's see if anyone starts using them! 
Certainly looks pretty cool though. 

Not sure if it would kick a P or (standard) J out of the arsenal but if you wanted something different to those two whilst still feeling familiar in the hands then I don't see why not!

Supro used them on their Huntington basses.

th.jpeg-734.jpg

This seems like a great article for those interested in what exactly the concept of goldfoil pickups implies: https://stringjoy.com/gold-foil-pickups/

As some people already pointed out in this thread it does seem, from reading this article, that it is more about a certain style really than actual substance, as the term covers over a wide variety of different construction methods, though there does seem to be certain tone characteristics commonly associated with this type of pickup, which roughly summed up seems to be very full range, harmonically rich, and open sounding, but also having a relatively weak output, which I guess for most parts usually wouldn't exactly be considered great qualities for a bass pickups, but on the other hand definitely ought to make for an unusual and different fairly unique take on a bass sound/tone. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash