Why become a member? ×

Advice needed from Aguilar AG500SC users

Gunsfreddy2003

Need some help here guys!

I use an Aguilar AG500SC amp head and have been using the effects loop function since I bought it a while ago. However I seem to be in a dilemma as to whether I should use this function or just go direct to the pedals and out to the amp for the best results?

As I understand it the Send and Return dials allow you to mix the amount of dry signal you hear through your cabs which in essence sounds like a good idea but I am wondering if this means that you lose some of the depth of the effect?

I seem to be struggling to get my EBS Bass IQ to give me the amount of effect that I need in a gig scenario and I wondered if I might find it easier if I did not use the effect loop at all.

Would be interested to hear how other users of this amp head find this feature and which way you approach this? Other amp users can also chip in if they want to on the subject of effect loops as I am sure that the principles are the same across the board!

Cheers

Mark

I thought that being able to mix the amount of dry/wet signal using the effects loop would have been helpful for envelope filters and fuzz etc?

Mind you have heard the awesome tones that you get so not going to doubt you!

Have you ever used the loop on the Aggie?

Mark

[quote name='Higgie' post='472513' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:45 AM']I use this head and I run everything straight into the front end. Sounds great to me. It's usually only modulation/delay that goes in the effects loop anyway, envelope filters should be kept up front IMO.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='472593' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:18 AM']I thought that being able to mix the amount of dry/wet signal using the effects loop would have been helpful for envelope filters and fuzz etc?

Mind you have heard the awesome tones that you get so not going to doubt you!

Have you ever used the loop on the Aggie?

Mark[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words :)

I tested it briefly with my OC-2 using Oct 1 knob on full, and everything else off, using the amp to blend clean and octave, it sounded nice, but not as good as running it into the front end of the amp. I really think it's just a case of experimenting with what you have, but IME i've never had a problem running any effect into the front of my amp, I've NEVER felt the need to have anything in the amp's loop.