Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2 Four

MarshallBTB

Im still on the fence about getting another. Since i sent my second one back ive brought a Paradriver, BDDI, VTbass and Zoom MS-60B+. All had good points but just not all the right ones for me in one unit, and the high cost of the Tech21 stuff is off putting for one effect. Tempted to even try the Line6 Pod express but that seems to be the less specified of the lot. 

Pretty sure I'll just get another B2-four next week. 

12 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Im still on the fence about getting another. Since i sent my second one back ive brought a Paradriver, BDDI, VTbass and Zoom MS-60B+. All had good points but just not all the right ones for me in one unit, and the high cost of the Tech21 stuff is off putting for one effect. Tempted to even try the Line6 Pod express but that seems to be the less specified of the lot. 

Pretty sure I'll just get another B2-four next week. 

I was thinking about a Pod Express too, but got completely slammed in an 'honest' pretty detailed review, too.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I was thinking about a Pod Express too, but got completely slammed in an 'honest' pretty detailed review, too.

Ive not read or heard anything that's a deal breaker as fas as what it offers, but at this price (used or new) I feel the Zooms have more room to tweak. I was happy to see the Pod has the BDDI sim in it, but only one knob to adjust makes it very basic compared to the Zoom versions (and the real thing). As im really after a good BDDI sim as well as a few other effects I feel I may end up not using the one effect I want. 

Slow day at work, so I ended up ordering my 3rd B2-four 😂.

This time it's for real. Ive tried to find something else, but nothing ticks as many boxes. Although I dont need DI out at the moment I am hoping t find a band that doesn't use amps on stage at some point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Although I dont need DI out at the moment I am hoping t find a band that doesn't use amps on stage at some point. 

This was one of the reasons that I bought it. The HX Stomp has a TRS jack out and I prefer XLRs for DI.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

This was one of the reasons that I bought it. The HX Stomp has a TRS jack out and I prefer XLRs for DI.

I have DI boxes so in a way it’s not really needed, but i did like the sound the Tube emulations made when i had the B2-four in the past and it keeps it neat. what swung it more was the fact that it can use it as an interface without the need for more cables. If the MS-60B+ had this id have kept it. 

On 25/07/2024 at 16:30, dave_bass5 said:

Slow day at work, so I ended up ordering my 3rd B2-four 😂.

This time it's for real. Ive tried to find something else, but nothing ticks as many boxes. Although I dont need DI out at the moment I am hoping t find a band that doesn't use amps on stage at some point. 

Are you liking it anymore this time around 🤔

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

Are you liking it anymore this time around 🤔

Actually i am. The first two were brought just as i got back in to playing bass. I actually did like them but there were other things that i felt i needed to try, so found more fault (or reason) to not like it, and it was a lot of money for something i wasn’t sure i needed. Now ive tried the other pedals, which i actually thought would work as i loved them before, my mind is a bit more settled. 

I did love the MS-60B+ more, sound wise, but for home use the ability to just plug it in to my ipad and have it powered from that is vey convenient. For this use it’s the best ive tried, BUT (😂), now im enjoying using it ive found im pretty much sticking to one or two presets, with a bit of tweaking. Ive found the sound i was after, and very happy with it, but do i now need a box like this where the MS could also do just as well live. I know i wont use 90% of the other bits, in fact im not even using the BDDI sim which was a must at the start. I ignored the amp sims at first because im going to be using an amp, but now ive spent proper time with it i think ill be using those amps as a tone shaper (rather than to emulate the original). Having the ability to dial back the cab in the MS actually makes more sense now. 

Bloody hell, it’s never ending 😂

• Haha 4

Haha, just sent mine back again. Had a rehearsal yesterday and just took my BDI-21. This worked well and demonstrated I dont need a multi FX. As the original idea in getting the B2-four was to get a BDDI on the cheap (and more options of course), It seems like I already had the cheapest option.

Think I'll pick up another MS-60+ though as I really did like a few of the presets for playing at home.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Haha, just sent my THIRD ONE IN THE SPACE OF A FEW MONTHS back again...

Screenshot(537).png.df31192798e5031c8c3e210c14ff9a7b.png

"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - attributed to Albert Einstein

😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 2

Having bought one and sending it back (display timeout was a royal pain) I settled on a pre-loved HX Stomp and am very happy with it (Which is odd as I had one a couple of years ago and could not get on with it ... I think my expectations/requirements have matured changed).  Perfect ... no ... but it does do everything I really need and I've a power brick which lets me drive it without mains.

I am still loath to part with my B1X-Four tho as it is very sound, was chip as chips and uses internal AAs.

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Screenshot(537).png.df31192798e5031c8c3e210c14ff9a7b.png

"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - attributed to Albert Einstein

😂

Haha, no, in my case the goal posts keep changing. Id have been happy with any of the 7 pedals ive brought since April, in fact 3 of them i loved a few years ago, but each time i settle on something, something else comes in to my head.

I do think the main cause of all this is money. Id much rather spend the £250 on other stuff. In fact, i did. Brought a new interface and a Mini Moog sim. Just cant get in to bass like i used to. Ive spent almost £1000 on keyboard stuff since April as well, and have no regrets at all. The bass playing is just a sideline, and i just cant seem to spend money on it. 

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

@dave_bass5 what the Cheap-as-Chips Plastic Cased Behringer?..

Class!,

Have you tried the real basic Resistor Mid-Mod?

Yeah, that's the one. Ive not used it for about 15 years. Ive had the real thing a couple of times, and brought it again a few weeks ago, but at £250 I just don’t think it's worth it for me. 

I know of the mod, but to be honest ive never felt the lack of mids were an issue for me. I only have blend on about 10-11 o'clock, just to add a bit of thickness to the tone. 

Ive still like another BDDI or Paradriver, but ill get used as the price new is a bit silly compared to how much they used to cost. 

Edited by dave_bass5

2 hours ago, SamIAm said:

Having bought one and sending it back (display timeout was a royal pain) I settled on a pre-loved HX Stomp and am very happy with it (Which is odd as I had one a couple of years ago and could not get on with it ... I think my expectations/requirements have matured changed).  Perfect ... no ... but it does do everything I really need and I've a power brick which lets me drive it without mains.

I am still loath to part with my B1X-Four tho as it is very sound, was chip as chips and uses internal AAs.

Sam x

I guess i could get the B1-four out and use that. Also loved my Stomp but it’s a bit out of my price range now, and i still prefer battery power for its convenience. The B2-four works fine with a power bank, but it’s just overkill. I also still have a MS-60 but i cant see me ever using that again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

It seems that Zoom have released Android software for G2Four, can that Handy Guitar Lab app (£0.75) be used with B2 Four?

Screenshot2024-08-16102029.jpg.3b5d978d23c413cb06741a6ae19801f4.jpg

Oh that is exciting news - could be a game changer for both the B2-Four and MS-60B+

• Like 1

@JohnDaBass managed to snaffle a B stock Zoom G2-4 for £82 from Bax. 

Be interested to see how I get on with it - given it doesn't have the bass specific models on it.

I'm mainly using the B1-4 for tone shaping / preamp duties and the G2-4 effects list includes Parametric EQs which should get me where I need to be, plus it has the usual pitch shift, modulation, and hopefully usable dirt (Rat fx) plus drum, looper, tuner, aux in

But it's more compact form factor vs the B2-4, Android editing (not yet available on the MS-60B+ or B2-4) and more current chipset vs the B1-4 means it's definitely worth a punt at that price!

• Like 2

Well done Al 👏👏

That's a great deal.

I didn't like to let on but I committed the same offence buying a s/h off here for £125.😂

B2-4 sounds the same as the B6, cleaner and more open than the B1-4.

There are no cab sims on the B2-4, I only use the cab sims on the B1-4 when using headphones at home , so not really important.

Hope you soon get on with the B2-4 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

Well done Al 👏👏

That's a great deal.

I didn't like to let on but I committed the same offence buying a s/h off here for £125.😂

B2-4 sounds the same as the B6, cleaner and more open than the B1-4.

There are no cab sims on the B2-4, I only use the cab sims on the B1-4 when using headphones at home , so not really important.

Hope you soon get on with the B2-4 

Thanks John, I've actually gone for the G2-4 (the guitar edition) not the B2-4...largely inspired by your post above regarding the android app 😊

Liking the prospect of the cleaner / more open sound you are getting. I suspect down to the upgraded chip set. The B1-4 is definitely a little muffled, particularly with the noise reduction fx added.

• Like 1