Why become a member? ×

P-Bass will hum but makes no noise when strings are plucked

PyroGuitar

Hey y’all! I’m new to this thread and new to wiring and customizing instruments so I thought I’d give the forums a try. 

I re-finished my brothers P-Bass so I had to take out all of the electronics of course. Only mentioning that because I didn’t un-solder anything except for the output jack.

Soooo… I put the bass back together and there is no sound when plucking strings but a very prominent buzzing/hum. There obviously must be a grounding issue but even when I un-soldered the ground connection to the jack and put it all back together again it still makes no noise. 

I have yet to check the ground connection to the pickups but I wouldn’t suspect that to be the issue since I didn’t un-solder any of that. 

Any suggestions or tips? Don’t want to take it into a shop lol

This might seem obvious, but are you absolutely 100% positively sure that you actually soldered the ground wire to the sleeve of the jack socket, and the hot/lead wire to the tip, and not the other way around?

Cause your issue sounds very much identical to what I experienced when I once made that mistake.

Does the buzzing get even louder when you touch the strings or bridge of the bass and somewhat quieter when you don't? (I assume you didn't actually mean that the noise stops when plucking the strings, as your headline otherwise kind of suggests)

(Also be careful with the gene modifications, it might improve your band mates productivity on the short term, but have totally unpredictable, potentially fatal, longer term consequences. Hello, Frankenstein!?!... Don't come running and say I didn't warm you! ;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash