Why become a member? ×

Letts Bass

TheGreek

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this so far.😉

I'm really quite surprised to see a few people suggesting that I deserve what's happened etc. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I suppose.

In response to that, I would point out that my initial intent was only to clearly make public what had gone on between Jon Letts and I to that point. It was Letts who, following my posts asked me for the chance to rectify matters between us, and it was an opportunity to illustrate almost in real time whether he had turned a corner or was still conducting himself and his business in exactly the same way. Because no matter how this ends, the ball is in his court how he comes out of this looking; better, or much worse. 

And particularly since he was reinventing himself on YouTube and other social media, I felt it would be appropriate for potential customers to be aware of what kind of luthier he is now, and not just back then. I wish I'd had that kind of info available to me when I first contacted him. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, EddieG said:

I'm really quite surprised to see a few people suggesting that I deserve what's happened etc.

Wanna be precise about who said that 'cos I can't see any suggestion of it?

There's consensus above that you've been badly treated, and I think emerging consensus that you should walk away and thereby limit any potential further harm, be that financial or psychological

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Wanna be precise about who said that 'cos I can't see any suggestion of it?

There's consensus above that you've been badly treated, and I think emerging consensus that you should walk away and thereby limit any potential further harm, be that financial or psychological

There's no risk of any psychological or financial harm, I can assure you of that much.

I think when this is all done and dusted, it will make sense.😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EddieG said:

There's no risk of any psychological or financial harm, I can assure you of that much.

Keep on dreaming Eddie

52 minutes ago, EddieG said:

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this so far.😉

I'm really quite surprised to see a few people suggesting that I deserve what's happened etc. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I suppose.

In response to that, I would point out that my initial intent was only to clearly make public what had gone on between Jon Letts and I to that point. It was Letts who, following my posts asked me for the chance to rectify matters between us, and it was an opportunity to illustrate almost in real time whether he had turned a corner or was still conducting himself and his business in exactly the same way. Because no matter how this ends, the ball is in his court how he comes out of this looking; better, or much worse. 

And particularly since he was reinventing himself on YouTube and other social media, I felt it would be appropriate for potential customers to be aware of what kind of luthier he is now, and not just back then. I wish I'd had that kind of info available to me when I first contacted him. 

I wonder what you would make of this thread if you were part of its audience rather than the protagonist. As a member of the audience, all I see is a tragedy based on the fatal flaws of two people: a dishonest artisan and an unworldly customer. At best, you will get an adequate bass that you should have had many years ago, either from the builder or using money recovered from the builder.

If you want a different story, perhaps you simply need to understand that you can only change the behaviour of one of the two characters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Keep on dreaming Eddie

6 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

I wonder what you would make of this thread if you were part of its audience rather than the protagonist. As a member of the audience, all I see is a tragedy based on the fatal flaws of two people: a dishonest artisan and an unworldly customer. At best, you will get an adequate bass that you should have had many years ago, either from the builder or using money recovered from the builder.

If you want a different story, perhaps you simply need to understand that you can only change the behaviour of one of the two characters.

I suspect that, of the above two posts, I would prefer to have been the author of the second 🤔

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Keep on dreaming Eddie

I'm not sure what I've done to you in order to warrant personal jibes, but thanks for your comment.👍🏻

17 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Edited by EddieG

@EddieG - honestly mate, I wish you all the best, I hope whatever plan you have comes to fruition and ends up being the downfall of Jon in as many ways as possible. He's a leech and doesn't deserve to be a human. If one believes in reincarnation, I'd like to think he'll come back as a snail that someone accidentally steps on, but that lives on - almost bifurcated - for many days before succumbing to said bifurcation. You - well, I hope you get what you're owed and that your next venture into custom basses is more successful. Alan at ACG is an excellent man to deal with - superb communication and basses that make Jon's builds look like trash (not hard). 

• Like 3

I've got to agree with @binky_bass - if you want a custom bass at a reasonable price then Alan has got to be your man. Build quality is exceptional and he will give you regular updates. 

Further to the comment about new builders with no form - I have to disagree - our own @Andyjr1515 and @Jabba_the_gut have built some amazing basses(I have at least one from each) and have a solid reputation on here. My own local custom builder, Kersey Guitars, has only recently opened his works and is building his reputation by turning out good quality instruments.

Jon Letts besmirches the reputations of small luthiers by his actions - however we should remember that he is doing damage to his own reputation and integrity and we should not judge other luthiers by his performance. 

Personally I'd be back in the Small Claims Court asking them to enforce the original judgment. This may involve a Legal Charge on his home, which will mean if/when the property is sold YOU get paid. May take some time but you are guaranteed to be paid eventually. See para  3 below.

https://moneyadvisor.co.uk/charge-on-property-2/

• Like 7

On 24/06/2024 at 19:45, EddieG said:

Perhaps there are "worse things that can happen", but when you're someone who has two disabled children, and really can't afford to hand £1.5k to a thief, I can't really think of much worse than a man who knows all that and would accept the money, and then refuse to provide the instrument. 
You may see things differently though.👍🏻

1 hour ago, EddieG said:

Have I missed something? 

• Like 4

Eddie, it’s your life bro and you can do what you want.

I think the whole bass community knows that Jon sucks.

You’re not helping us, or yourself...

We all want you to get a bass you cherish and love and that isn’t going to come from Jon. I’m sorry. Even if it arrives it’s going to disappoint you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, EddieG said:

Sounds like you have a Netflix documentary all lined up. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, EddieG said:

Please hurry up and do and dust it, I'm not getting any younger. I'm a bit worried about starting any long books these days and the thought of waiting years for a bass would give me the heebie-jeebies, so I'd like it all to make sense sooner rather than later.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, EddieG said:

I'm not sure what I've done to you in order to warrant personal jibes, but thanks for your comment.👍🏻

I can see why you might feel that, but there are no jibes, only comments based on the thread to date in which you've alluded to both financial harm and (albeit implied) psychological harm, despite going on to state zero risk of either in pursuit of getting this done and dusted. A jibe would have been be 'You're an idiot' or 'you deserve this', but I've said neither, I've simply, if a little harshly, suggested that you're dreaming if you think this will resolve well and without further distress.

Hand on heart, I hope that if i were in the same situation as you and posted here, I would receive, recognise the wisdom of, and act on the basis of the same advice you've received 👍

@EddieG - Thanks for sharing your experience. I’d noticed some of the Letts offerings on Reverb and they had piqued a little intrigue so I’m glad to have been steered clear.

I empathise with your situation, I think most of us have experienced a fair share of loss, be it financial, relational etc. It’s not a nice feeling and we deal with it in different ways. Seems like you lost a positive experience of being built a custom instrument, where you should have been indulged and looked after as a valued customer.

I hope you get some closure soon. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Personally I'd be back in the Small Claims Court asking them to enforce the original judgment. This may involve a Legal Charge on his home, which will mean if/when the property is sold YOU get paid. May take some time but you are guaranteed to be paid eventually. See para  3 below.

That's good advice, and quite sobering to learn that one could lose some of the value of one's property if one doesn't fulfil the terms of the court order. 

This, surely, will focus the mind of the luthier  - and give @EddieG comfort....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

That's good advice, and quite sobering to learn that one could lose some of the value of one's property if one doesn't fulfil the terms of the court order. 

This, surely, will focus the mind of the luthier  - and give @EddieG comfort....

The process is also very simple. I’ve done it.

• Like 3

My lesson from when I was self employed (learnt the hard way) was if they are unable to pay what they owe you on time just go for the juggular, (i.e. the small claims court). I was way too soft on one customer, kept getting excuse after excuse, eventually getting a cheque (it was that long ago) that bounced, and shortly after I eventually started court proceedings they went bust  & I ended up with nothing.

I like to give people a chance, but I think you've gone beyond what anyone could expect in accepting this crap from him.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2024 at 09:17, wateroftyne said:

New to all this.

Just looked JL up on Facebook. Made a mental note never to give him a penny, or even engage him in conversation.

In a way I'm sorry I disinterred the topic.

But as I explained I encountered him wittering (IMHO stupidly) on F/B in a different context. All the other respondents there were up for an interesting (to us) and civil chat. He was simply a gynaecological expletive / pitA . Some people on here concur with that assessment 

This has been a fascinating thread to read - John took £350 as initial deposit from me 10 years ago as part of the custom build offer.

Luckily I never paid him any more for materials as he was way too quick with his delays and excuses.

I had almost forgotten about it until I saw this thread!

Hopefully this finds a satisfactory ending for you @EddieG and not the one I'm expecting!

All the best.

Edited by ScottBass86
  • Sad 2